Montana

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Chicken Woman, Oct 25, 2008.

1. ReneB

ReneB Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    It's been a long time since we've had flies this bad. Deer flies and horse flies are bad down by the creek, but the houseflies... I have 6 of those very lovely (not so much) fly strips hanging around my house and still have a hard time eating at my kitchen table because the darn things are dive-bombing me. Nasty.

We're trying to get things lined around so we can take a short vacation here in a couple weeks. It's so hard to find someone I trust to watch all the critters though. Hoping to be able to slip away to WA/OR for a few days. I'm thinking it would be great to find some "pick your own" orchards- just need to convince the family that's a good idea.

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    we ate wild rasberries!! flint creek is up by philipsburg just down from georgetown lake. its a wonderful spot, on the creek and it has a man made pond for the kids to swim in, and the water is constantly moving from the creek that runs into it. so where ever you camp in this camp ground your by the creek. man the butterflys and moths were terrible, and the flys but we endured with a nice fire and lots of goodies.

3. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    I hope you can get away, if I lived close I would come and care for your animals, heck I did it for years for folks so they could get away. I got my neighbor to care for my chickens this week, he was so nice but would not eat the eggs lol. he and his wife will not eat brown eggs. its so funny but you can not change there minds. .

4. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    So with 2 broodys in both nest boxes I had to add another box, the only two chickens that are laying is a pullet and my black astrolorp. Tpday I found 2 giant eggs, the one pullet that's been laying has laid nothing but tiny eggs for two weeks, so today 2 giant eggs ? Either that pullet decided to let loose, or another pullet went to town and laid a giant egg lol. I can not wait until all my birds are on board with laying, I'm tired of two broody birds and depending on a pullet and an astrolorp! Bring on the eggs already!
    How's everyone doing? It's been super quiet around here !

5. 9gerianMile

9gerianMile Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Western MT
    Well, I may be giving the Silkies that are in lockdown right now to my two Marans broody mamas when they hatch because they are determined! Need to build them a pen, because the last time I gave babies to a broody, she took them all over the property and lost NINE babies over the course of a few weeks. So they will be penned!

My Muscovy is still on her eggs. They're all still moving and growing, but very slowly. Her nest is in a terrible place, on a hollow metal box, so the eggs haven't been kept warm enough. I pulled nine of the 12 eggs, and put them in my hatcher. We'll see if they pull through... I sure hope so! I want ducklings so bad.

The yaks are happy that we aren't hitting the 100*+ anymore. August is treating us well, so far. My tomatoes are growing nicely, and the old apple trees are getting going, too.

How's everyone else doing?

6. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    Wow its been busy here, haven't had much time to get on line. We've been trying to get some hay put up, but have had equipment break down over and over again, plus its been so hot the hay is sparse and dry. We aren't even getting a quarter of what we normally get. We're working at it for 1 more weekend then thats it. I just hope we get enough for us, sure won't have any to sell.
    All the chicks hatched this year are now out in the coop, and the oldest ones have been laying for about a month now. I kept several EEs and OEs, and am getting nice olive and lite green eggs. One of the EEs lays a pretty blue just like the pure Ameracanas do. I also kept some nice BSLs form my Black English Orp roo and Cuckoo Marans hens, and they are laying a very nice dark egg. The roos from that cross were real nice fast growing meatie birds for the freezer.
    Monday when I got home from work it was 114 here, I thought I might melt as I was doing my chores. The chickens are doing great, I have sprinklers set up around my garden on timers that sprinkle over the fence in different areas for the chickens, they will sit under the water as it sprays over the fence, and when the water moves to a different area they either follow the water, or dig holes in the cool wet ground.
    I've been hearing alot about thoes vacation things, and thought I would like to go on one when the weather cools some, but what do you do with your time when you don't have chickens to feed, eggs to pick up, chickens to water, eggs to pick up, dogs to let out, eggs to pick up, horses to work with, eggs to pick up, chickens to watch chase bugs, and did I say eggs to pick up.
    I hear there are some bad storms comming this weekend, so everyone stay safe.

7. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana

I would love to be able to put eggs under my 2 broodys, there driving me nuts !
    Your duck is nesting on a metal box? So was she to hard to move? Can not wait to see pictures!
    Yummm apples, do you sell them? What kinds ? Always on the look out for non Gmo fruit !

8. karlamaria

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    So sorry for the bad haying time, I do hope we get some rain soon. Sounds like you have been working real hard. How's the garden? Sounds like you need a good vacation !

9. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    For as hot as its been my garden looks great. I didn't put in a huge garden this year, its just me, and I'll cook for my BF when he is up here. I've already been digging potatoes,some of the corn is ready and another crop of corn will be ready in about 3 weeks, the tomatos are looking good, but only did 3 plants. Peas are done and in the freezer, the cucumbers are comming fast and can hardley keep up with them, and my squash looks great. I did not plant zucchini this year, but I have a great recipe for making Bread and Butter pickles out of them, you wouldn't know their not made out of cucumbers. If anyone would like it let me know, also have a very good recipe for a chocolate-chocolate chip zucchini cake,yum- yum.

10. Chick N Haus

Chick N Haus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2012
    Bigfork, Montana
    Hi Montana people,
    Just joined BYC last month although have to admit to being a frequent visitor for the last few months since we retired and decided that we would love to have a few fresh eggs. The story goes that we hadn't had chickens since our DD was in 4H (she is now a grandmother).She is getting so old. You know a few chickens, some of our old favorites,some that do well in the cold, some that we've never heard of and look interesting and maybe a couple of these that were recommended. How did we get 50 chichens? Is that what they call chicken math? It will certainly be interesting. Guess we will have enough eggs for two, ya think? The amazing thing is that Murray McMurray still had us in their data bank. Do you think they keep a special list of easy marks? That should have been our first clue.
    I see the people who have posted lately live all over the state. Anyone close to Creston?

Gail

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by