Montana

I'll keep that in mind. It's going to take some getting used to, this everything wants to eat anything I try and do. We've had a black bear in close to the house on several occasions, so I definitely know they're out there. I know once I start adding more animals, I'll have more predators coming in. Fun!

But hey, great excuse to tell the hubby I'll need to start out with more birds, right?
big_smile.png

Well, I have two big dogs(LGD and a property guard) and an alert dog. Nothing big comes through the yak pen. The horns are the biggest deterrent I think. We have a good horseshoe set up with the birds in the middle, so nothing really gets to them :) Cept those danged Baldies... I used to think they were so majestic until they picked off a pretty pullet as I watched helpless. Oh well.

We have an LED motion activated/following recording deal from Costco. You can set it to record video or take pictures. It keeps us up to date on who's passing through.

Yeah, when in doubt, start with more birds. You can always sell the ones you don't like as starteds ;)

Today we got 2 pairs of Buff(?) Ducks! They had been hanging around a pond in town and our friend who works for parks and rec was tasked to remove them. She had already caught one of the girls and she gets an egg a day from that one, so I have high hopes for these girls once they settle in.

I think I'll build them a pen and keep one of the drakes... Don't want them mixing with the 'scovies!

How's everyone else?

Well, when you free range in MT, you have to not *love* your chickens. I have what's called an "Acceptable Loss" concept.

I tend towards what I call the "Darwinian Ranch Approach" which means:
I will feed you, provide preventative and emergency health care as needed, and give you what you need to be happy.
You will produce something I want/sell/eat.
You will have the facilities and the resources to thrive.
I will not be sad if you get yourself killed. That's on you.
I agree with this, I feel bad if something gets into the coop and kills some of them because then I feel its my fault, but if they disappear or get killed while free ranging, thats life and death on the ranch. Other than a couple of my roos I do not name my chickens.

Beautiful ducks! We've got a pond, but I have no idea how to go about waterfowl. It's so far away from the house, it'd be hard to keep an eye on anything down there. I'm thinking about planting some trees around it and just letting it go for a few years and see what happens.

Just another frosty day in paradise here. It was nice to see the sun for a little while. Thinking about going to Missoula Monday to do a bit of shopping and maybe see a movie/have dinner.

You should try Cafe Rio, Bitterroot! It's delish :) I get the Pork Salad and it's to die for.

Thanks :) I like them. They're just understandably scared $***less. I think in a few days they'll be fine. I think they're just Buff ducks after looking up some pictures.

Yeah Azriel. That's how we are. A few of the fave hens and all keeper Roo's get names. My Blue Copper Marans is "Lincoln" (get it? blue... copper... haha) And his OE son who looks just like him is "Junior" and my "Surprise! I'm a Rooster" FBCM who is looking to be show quality is pending. Then about 5/25 hens have names- usually from injuries or appearance.

We're getting a lady lavender and a lady chocolate newbies for the Muscovy flock on Saturday. Don't know what to do with my two girls I hatched out last year. May sell them on Craig's.

I'm going to go do my last checks for the night. Hope you all are having a good week-before-Christmas!

Oh, sidenote- I'm going to start using my new account "RoyalT" to reflect the ranch name. 9gerianMile was the name of my goat herd of Nigerian Dwarf goats... and I no longer have any goats, so it just serves as a reminder of that and also confuses the heck out of people. I'll post in here with the new name in a minute :)

Last edited:
Cafe Rio? How'd you know I LOVE mexican? We've just been going to Fiesta whatever it is there on Reserve since it was close to the apartments, and there's one here in Stevi too that has been good. Will definitely give it a try. Thanks!

Any other fantastic places to try? We've been sticking to Fiesta, Stone of Accord, and Doublefront for their chicken. Ohh, the chicken ...
droolin.gif
And that deep fried mac and cheese is the stuff of heaven.

Darn. Now I'm hungry.

Oh yeah I'm down to 19/60 I set... let me go check my marks, I have 13 of yours still going. Yours are doing the best, by FAR! The others were clearly abused during shipping :(

Back
Top Bottom