1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Montezuma quail...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Missi, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Are GORGEOUS! Does anyone keep them in captivity? Are they permitted to be kept? Anyone know?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Yes there are a few people that raise them.They are very pricey little buggers.Also known as mearns.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

saw a pair for sale on bidbird about 800

4. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    i know a guy whos selling mears for 300$ a pair.

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I heard they are hard to incubate artificially. Bidbird has some but they are pricey. $300 are not too bad.

6. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    They are little beauties!

And were lucky enough to see them in the wild not far from us.

7. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    My Understanding Incubation Is Not The Difficulty Its Rearing, They Are Specialty Speces Designed By Nature To Fit A Certain Niche... In The Wild The Primarily Dig And Scavenge Insects. So Starting Hatchlings Can Be Very Exasperating. They Are 1 Of 2 Speces In That Category, The Other Is The Oscillated Quail~ Both Very Very Similar In Appearance And Needs. These Are A Serious Specialty Bird And Not For Someone Who Isnt Very Experienced. They Are Uncommon In Captivity And Not Prolific Producer So The Prices Stay High On Them

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    That makes sense. Some birds are not meant to keep. Still gorgeous!

9. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Interesting! I didn't know anything about them but saw them on a quail video. Their appearance took my breath away. Little beauties. [​IMG]

10. animal8

animal8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Oxford
    I've heard of the Oscillated quail, but what does the Montezuma quail look like? I've never seen one of them before. Come to think of it, never seen what an Oscillated quail looks like either [​IMG]

EDIT: Actually strike that. They are known as Mearns quail? Those I have heard of. I found someone over here that sells them, I think. Not sure for how much, though [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by