Moose has larengitis

Amanda39

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
White Lake, Michigan
I could use some help. A few days ago, moose would be honking and 1 or 2 of the honks would be just air. Just a wheeze sound, but not like the wheeze of asthma, like a whisper. Now, almost all her honks are whispers. I went to the local bird store and they gave me bird antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. Although I don't know if this actually what's going on, he said it won't hurt her if she doesn't have it. I'm able to get the dose down her with a syring and a rubber tube. She hates it, and it's a struggle, but I feel better knowing she is getting it. She has to get it twice a day for 7 days. I have only given her 2 doses so far. I thought maybe her throat was irritated by the pine shavings, but they have had these shavings aall winter and it hasn't been an issue. She is eating well and drinking well. I also put bird vitamins with electrolytes in their water.

Am I doing the right thing? Could it be something totally different? Please help!

I'm a little concerned that the bird store isn't a vet. I hope they gave you the right medication. That said, respiratory infection is a pretty safe bet.

Geese are very sensitive to fungus and when exposed, prone to respiratory infections. It happened to my late goose, Keld, when she was a large gosling and she was fine after treatment. She was back to her normal voice, breathing, and activity level within a few days. What I got from the vet was Doxycyclin 100 mg. tablets, one a day for 14 days. The brand name was Ronaxan vet.

What you should do is try to find the cause. Are the pine shavings wet or moist anywhere - or have they been? Fungus thrives in moist bedding.

Moose is doing great! After only 3 doses no more coughing and full honk back! Yes, their bedding is wet by their water because they keep trying to bathe in their water bucket. I clean the wet bedding out every day, most of the time it's frozen because it's so cold out, so I thought I'd be safe from fungus with the cold weather. I give them their food and water in their pen because they are in there all day and night. They hate the cold, I have to sometimes force them out to just walk around a bit and stretch their wings, then they run back to their pen. As soon as the snow melts, I'm having a permanent coop built outside that will be much larger and I will put their food and water in an area of the pen that won't make contact with the bedding. I need to put a cover on the heated bucket with a smaller hole. Just enough room to get their heads in and clean their nose. With it being a wide open bucket, they are splashing all over.

I can't wait to be able to put them out in the morning and leave them out all day!

Glad to hear Moose is getting back to normal, here is how I fix the problem of my water fowl wanting to use their heated buckets for bathing.

900x900px-LL-d2af6ce3_024.jpeg

I could use some help. A few days ago, moose would be honking and 1 or 2 of the honks would be just air. Just a wheeze sound, but not like the wheeze of asthma, like a whisper. Now, almost all her honks are whispers. I went to the local bird store and they gave me bird antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. Although I don't know if this actually what's going on, he said it won't hurt her if she doesn't have it. I'm able to get the dose down her with a syring and a rubber tube. She hates it, and it's a struggle, but I feel better knowing she is getting it. She has to get it twice a day for 7 days. I have only given her 2 doses so far. I thought maybe her throat was irritated by the pine shavings, but they have had these shavings aall winter and it hasn't been an issue. She is eating well and drinking well. I also put bird vitamins with electrolytes in their water. 

Am I doing the right thing? Could it be something totally different? Please help!

Did this store sell you the Cipro?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom