Moose is still sick! Help!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Amanda39, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Amanda39

Amanda39 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Hi everyone, a couple weeks ago I posted that Moose had a cough, I got some cipro and gave it twice a day for 5 days. Then a week later, he lost his honk and started having bubbly mucous from his nose. So, I put him back on cipro and I'm going to give it to him twice a day for 10 days. Today is day 7, and although his nose seems clear, his honk is still almost a whisper and he just looks kind of miserable. He is eating and drinking and poops look normal. If after 10 days, should I try Baytril, or could his honk actually just be changing? Could the antibiotics irritated his throat?

Please help, I'm very worried!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    How much does he weigh and how much Cipro did you give?

-Kathy

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I know nothing about meds to give advise but I sent casportpony your thread I trust her to give the right advise. Of course a vet would always be best but I realize most of us don't have vets that will see water fowl. Hopefully she is on today.

Sorry Moose still isn't feeling so good. is Moose a gander I was thinking you had 2 females.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Moose is a girl, but we didn't realize until he laid his first egg, by then, it was too embedded into our brains for him to be a girl. Yes, the store sold me Cipro. Moose weighs 13.5 pounds, I"m giving 6cc.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

On the bottle it should say how many mg are in one ml. What does the bottle say?

-Kathy

6. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    500mg/10mL

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I'm gonna guess that means that each one ml has 50 mg, so you were giving 300 mg twice a day, which is about 50mg/kg. Seems on the high side to me, but I haven't used it, so can't say for sure. Baytril and Cipro are very similar, so I don't know if you should give it.

Is there any chance you could take her to a vet and have the vet do a swab to check for bacteria and/or yeast?

-Kathy

8. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Thank you Kathy. I called the guy at the store and he said that Moose has had enough, to stop the medication and give him a break over the weekend. If he doesn't improve or gets worse, we will try Amoxicillin. He is eating and playing in the pool like always, we just need to get his voice back!

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Moose also needs some probiotics with taking so much antibiotics. usually you can find them at feed stores or human equivalent. But that tummy needs some extra support now.

10. Amanda39

Apr 14, 2014
    White Lake, Michigan
    Oh ok! I have some! I'll put it in his water today, thank you!!! His voice actually sounded slightly louder this morning around 6:30. Poor Moose, he/she is such a good boy/girl LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by