Morbidly obese chick. What is going on!?

Ashspd50

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I have a group of 6 "ameraucanas." 5 of the chicks meet all the standards for Ameraucanas and appear to be your average chicks, however one of the 6 is built entirely different, does not meet any standards of an Ameraucana and is hugely fat. It is obvious this chick was incorrectly labled, however what concerns me is it's size. It is so fat it feels heavy and dense and it's belly actually rubs on the ground so much that it's stomach is bare of feathers from rubbing. The chick is almost 3 weeks old. It is all yellow with a few dark gray/black spots on it's back and wings. This chick acts healthy and eats and poops as it should, but I have never seen a chick so obese. I just want to know if anyone is familiar with chicks like this and if it is something I should be worried about.

Do you know if the Cornish crosses can have spots? Looking at pictures online it looks possible that it could be a cornish cross, however I have not seen any pictures with the spotting like this chick has and it is actually heavier looking than what I am seeing. Litterally it looks like it is suffering from some sort of bloat its stomach bulges so much.

Do you know if the Cornish crosses can have spots? Looking at pictures online it looks possible that it could be a cornish cross, however I have not seen any pictures with the spotting like this chick has and it is actually heavier looking than what I am seeing. Litterally it looks like it is suffering from some sort of bloat its stomach bulges so much.
Oh dear...maybe it is just ill?

I am not sure as I have not raised CXs. I just wanted you to know that such a bird existed...so you can perhaps determine if that is what kind she/he is.

Back
Top Bottom