More babies! Adopted eggs hatched ... silkies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GoodEgg, Jun 17, 2008.

1. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Hello all!

Been too busy to post much lately.

Some of the eggs I received from a local BYC member have hatched. I placed them under a couple of my broodies 3 weeks ago. I was starting to think none of them would hatch, as the hens had begun abandoning the nests for longer periods of time. I thought they were giving up. The Australorp was also bad about "losing" one and not setting on it, even though I only left her with 2 eggs.

Anyway, I have 3 babies so far! The downside is that there are 4 hatched-out shells. I can't find the other baby anywhere. [​IMG] And when the mothers saw the chicks, they pecked them pretty roughly, so I pulled the chicks from them and put them under a light. I had hoped the mamas would raise them. Too bad Rosie's babies are a week old ... too old for her to take these, I am thinking. They are still setting on 4 eggs, and I hadn't expected them to hatch just yet, so I might even get some more.

When I first put them under the light, they started peeping LOUDLY. I thought they might be too cold, but that particular light makes a lot of heat.

[​IMG]

Then one of them made it to the other side and stretched out to sleep, seeming very satisfied.

[​IMG]

After that, the other two joined the first baby in the corner away from the light.

[​IMG]

And everyone stretched out and went to sleep!

[​IMG]

I guess they were actually too hot rather than too cold. They've been pretty settled most of the time since then.

I have a question though ... the eggs he gave me were a combination of silkies' eggs and golden seabrights' eggs. I thought the light colored one was a golden seabright, but I have noticed that ALL of the chicks so far have fuzzy legs and feet. Does this mean they are all silkies?

Thanks everyone, just had to share!

trish

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I can't help you with what they are but they are so cute. [​IMG]

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They are all silkies.

Sebrights would be clean legged, and wouldnt have black legs and beaks.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    They're cute little buggers! Why don't you enter my silkie contest (see my sig) and win some more eggs! [​IMG]

5. GoodEgg

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Thanks, and one more so far. [​IMG]

I checked under the hens before I had to go to church ... at around 5:30 pm there was another one. Since I already pulled the other 3, I added this one to it.

When I checked on everyone in the coop a few minutes ago, I *might* have heard more peeping in there. It's hard to tell because the older ones always purr when I come in at night. I didn't disturb the nests though. I think they will do ok through the night and I'll just get up at daybreak to check on the remaining 3 eggs and/or possible babies.

I'm so excited. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the animals and life in general just now, but I really wanted some silkies, and 3 of these so far look like they MIGHT be the blue and/or blue splash I saw at the BYC member's house who gave them to me. I'll have to write and ask him whose eggs he gave me, cuz maybe I misunderstood but I thought those weren't laying. I still hope some of the golden seabrights will hatch ... I know he wanted them back and I would love to be able to give them to him in appreciation.

Whoever they turn out to be, they are cute so far, and I'm glad to have them. Just gotta watch the light colored one. He sometimes tries to peck the others' eyes!

They're going to be as spoiled as I have time to make them. [​IMG] Hopefully things will settle down soon and I can spend some time enjoying them.

trish

6. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    They look so peaceful! Did you ever figure out where the 4th chick was?

7. GoodEgg

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Unfortunately, I didn't find him. The area the hen was in is not too big. I picked her up and checked under her wings too.

Do hens ever eat the babies? I don't see any sign of mayhem, but ... can there be any other explanation for an empty shell with no baby?

Maybe she broke it open and it wasn't alive and she ate the egg? It looks like a hatch tho.

I don't want to imagine bad things happening though. I'd rather just think of the 4 little fuzzballs in my living room and be thankful.

So far the other eggs have not hatched. Not sure if they will since it's been almost 24 hours since the last one hatched.

Thanks!

trish

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Those are definitely silkie babies... [​IMG] Congratulations - they're beautiful! I'm sorry about the one that is MIA... I wonder what happened? [​IMG]
    I have a silkie that was sitting on one egg. The egg hatched, and when it was a day old I put a week and a half old chick in there with him. Momma was surprised, but took to her. Then a few days later I added a day old bantam, and now all three are growing and learning with momma silkie. I don't think a week old is too late to at least try combining the families. [​IMG] Try putting the chicks under her in the evening when she's sleepy... that might help.
    Are these from Cracker?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by