More buff silkie babies!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Oct 10, 2010.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    We moved into a new pen last night and are enjoyed the increased space. Oh, who am I kidding... we are freaking out about the new space. Eventually though we will be happy about the increased space. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some random baby shots-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Beautiful birds! Awesome pen!

How old are they? I'm still trying to decide on the sex of my two silkies. I'm 99% certain that Jethro is a pullet, but can't make my mind up about Ellie Mae. If my cockerel Impy would just try to mate her/him (like he does Jethro), I'd be a bit more certain.

Thank goodness my CX cockerel doesn't try to mate the silkies. He only has eyes for the CX pullets.

3. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Thanks!
    The babies in there are around 10 weeks old. I think. My calendar is at work. I have hatched so much this season that I can't remember without looking it up. Old brain, you know? [​IMG]

Silkies are really, really hard to sex. Two of that lot are male, but I only know that because they started trying to crow at 4 weeks old. It's possible that more will end up male. As they get bigger, the males will grow larger and will start putting out streamers on the back of their head. They look like they have an Elvis do. The hens seem to have rounder body type and rounder crests. I don't even try to guess until they are around 6 months old. I stink at figuring gender.

What color silkies did you end up getting?

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I got a blue and a red, although they look more like a gray and a buff.
    From your description, my guesses are right - Jethro is the pullet and Ellie Mae is the cockerel. We tried changing Jethro's name, but we were already used to calling him Jethro and another name just won't stick. [​IMG]

Here they are, a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=403769

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    They do look grey and buff in those pictures. [​IMG] My blue looks black actually.
    It's hard to tell in your pictures what the red/buff is. I do better with a side shot. That helps you see the Elvis back sweep better. The blue does look roundish. I would totally go with that one being the pullet (Jethro, is it?[​IMG] ) You have a 50/50 shot on the other, I'd say. Wait and see if you get a crow. [​IMG]

Either way, do you love them? It seems silkies go one way or the other. You either love them or hate them. Personally, I am just smitten. I love their inate sweetness and their fluffiness. [​IMG]

6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    OMG! You arn't into silkis are you? very nice.[​IMG]

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, I love their color! Where did you get them?

8. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I love em as much as the others, but I'm not gaga over them.

9. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    They are so cute and pretty. I have 3 Buff Silkie eggs in the bator and I really hope they all hatch! (I started with 12. [​IMG] )

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Goodness, you make me want to have silkies. They are gorgeous.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by