more Bumblefoot in the flock

Wear gloves, often contains staph. Apply pressure as if it were a blackhead that you were trying to remove, gentle yet firm pressure from the sides/undersides with an upward, outward (desired exit) direction. Poultry pus is not watery like human pus; it's thick, cheesy.
Keep soaking that foot until you can pop the top off easily and then squeeze it, rinse it, squeeze it some more until you get all of that nastiness out of there. Pack it with triple antibiotic (without pain killer, the sort that has the consistency of vaseline), put a teflon non-stick gauze over the wound, and wrap in sports tape to make a little bootie for her. The gauze will get wet when she swims, but the sports tape should be fine. Change the dressing daily and examine for swelling or persistent infection.

So after an epsom/iodine soak tonight in the gathering darkness I had a go at the scab with tweezers, I’m sorry it was so dark, I was having a hard time seeing and she is like wrestling a greased pig, truly she’s unbelievable . It felt bigger than it looks here But I didn’t get any filling and there is still more scab there. I put a fresh duck shoe on her and more ointment. 😢
She was showing no problems till I checked, I’m afraid she will be in pain now.
993A8B64-45C5-4E4A-9035-4E84D67DCF7A.jpeg
76062507-91A3-47CD-A1ED-C52818AEECA9.jpeg

so tonight after a LONG night of counting ballots for the primary, I came home to marinate my duck. I decided to bring her up to the house as I couldn't see and it was raining outside. she was no more cooperative inside than out, I got more of the scab off, but nothing that I would call a puss chunk and nothing from inside, she kicks and squirms and flails, our other birds are more easy going.
is it possible to give her something like Benadryl or anything to calm her down a bit? I am worried she's going to hurt herself or have a heart attack before this is all over. I also don't feel anything really hard when I squeeze her bottom pad.
her poop is like tar, and really really stanky, she eats flock raiser and peas at night and all the mud she wants so unless its stress related, I can't see why her poop is so nasty. she shows no signs of issues in her day to day, she runs and keeps up with everyone else just fine. I am going to see if I can get my mother to take a break from her mask manufacture and re-design the duck booties to a full open with velcro close.
I may end up at the vet before this is all over.
IMG_1729.JPG

@Isaac 0 @Miss Lydia @Tycine1

so last night I attempted a bit further surgery with no success, I am hoping someone can help me out here and explain what it is I am seeing? it looks like some pussy crap that is healing over, there isn't anything really clearly defined to me. I see so many pictures on here and elsewhere where it is a clearly defined corn this just looks like a nasty mess. she was a LOT calmer last night, and my wife had a soft boiled egg that didn't get cooked to satisfaction she offered, squabbles would have nothing to do with the egg but devoured the egg shell, this isn't the first duck I have been unsuccessful feeding an egg to, but I wonder if the devouring of the egg shell is telling of anything. the have oyster shells available all the time so it would seem like the wouldn't be that desperate for calcium.
also my mother made me a new shoe that is much easier to put on, time will tell how it stays on but I was tickled with how It came out.
for now continuing with epsom/iodine soaks and ointment wraps.
I am also including another photo of the black tar poop which she produced again today. still not sure what that is all about but it is smelly sticky stuff.
IMG_1737.JPG
IMG_1738.JPG
IMG_1739.JPG
IMG_1740.JPG
IMG_1741.JPG

still got that yellow thing, I didn't pick at it tonight, just soak, spray, ointment, wrap and put to bed. I feel like that yellow thing is going to cause problems, but the outer edges seem to be healing. :fl

@Isaac 0 @Tycine1
9136496D-858E-4151-971D-DDA05AB64E11.jpeg
84A65E16-BD40-4200-B1F7-7AC37E72F86A.jpeg
9136496D-858E-4151-971D-DDA05AB64E11.jpeg
84A65E16-BD40-4200-B1F7-7AC37E72F86A.jpeg

Ok, so I tried a little cutting tonight, got blood, no bumble, I think I need a vet, her foot was hot to the touch, I just don’t know what I’m seeing I tried cutting the top off the whitish yellow part and it didn’t seem to work. I’m just hurting her and it’s not getting better, anyone with suggestions?

If you are at the point where it's getting too much for you, go ahead and take her to a vet if you want.

It sounds like the leg might be infected, in which case you could start her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Enrofloxacin or Amoxcilin to kill all the bacteria, and then you'd be able to properly dig into the Bumble and remove the gunk adequately enough to be done with it. You'll just have to realize that Bumble is usually comprised of gram-positive bacteria, to be more specific staphylococcus. Therefore it's quite likely the bacteria will build a resistance up to whatever antibotic you choose to use, and may be useless in future problems.

Treating bumblefoot is a laborious and tedious task that takes a lot of time, and usually consists of repeating soaking, bandaging, and digging to remove the puss/gunk out of the sore.

Have you tried cutting/teasing the top part off, and then applying pressure to the base of her footpad to "push out some of the gunk"?.

If you are at the point where it's getting too much for you, go ahead and take her to a vet if you want.

It sounds like the leg might be infected, in which case you could start her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic like Enrofloxacin or Amoxcilin to kill all the bacteria, and then you'd be able to properly dig into the Bumble and remove the gunk adequately enough to be done with it. You'll just have to realize that Bumble is usually comprised of gram-positive bacteria, to be more specific staphylococcus. Therefore it's quite likely the bacteria will build a resistance up to whatever antibotic you choose to use, and may be useless in future problems.

Treating bumblefoot is a laborious and tedious task that takes a lot of time, and usually consists of repeating soaking, bandaging, and digging to remove the puss/gunk out of the sore.

Have you tried cutting/teasing the top part off, and then applying pressure to the base of her footpad to "push out some of the gunk"?.
We’ve been doing iodine/epsom baths every night for a week now, wrapping in gauze and using a neoprene shoe every day, I do the soak and new wrapping at night so she stays dry all night, I picked the scab off the top around Wednesday, all the videos and stuff I find online it’s a clean clearly defined corn you can see to see what to go after, Also it’s not firm in there that I can see or feel. this is just a mess. I think I’m over my head.

Back
Top Bottom