more Bumblefoot in the flock

We’ve been doing iodine/epsom baths every night for a week now, wrapping in gauze and using a neoprene shoe every day, I do the soak and new wrapping at night so she stays dry all night, I picked the scab off the top around Wednesday, all the videos and stuff I find online it’s a clean clearly defined corn you can see to see what to go after, this is just a mess. I think I’m over my head.

If I were you, I'd either take her to a vet, or start her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic . It doesn't sound like the soaks are working too well, and I'm sure your back has to be about broken by now.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand from any past vet visits?

If I were you, I'd either take her to a vet, or start her on a broad-spectrum antibiotic . It doesn't sound like the soaks are working too well, and I'm sure your back has to be about broken by now.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand from any past vet visits?
Have lots of cephalexin 500mg and a little cefpodoxime 200 mg that were for the dog, she gets UTIs from time to time

The dose for Cephalexin is 35-50mg/kg PO four times daily, or 40-100mg/kg PO every six hours daily.

I will just pick 40mg/kg orally four times a day.

So take one Cephalexin Pill, and crush finely using a mortar and pestle, take the powder and mix in with 10ml of water and mix thoroughly. It won’t dissolve all the way so it's important you shake during the whole process to try to distribute the powder somewhat evenly throughout the liquid.

You will be left with a mixture that contains 50mg of cephalexin per Ml.

She weighs about 3.3kg, so take that multiply by 40 and you have her dose which is 132mg four times a day.

That would mean you’d give her approx, 2.6ml of that liquid four times a day orally.

I’ve heard Cephalexin smells like cat urine so you may administer it when you know she hasn’t eaten for a while to reduce the risk of regurgitation.

The dose for Cephalexin is 35-50mg/kg PO four times daily, or 40-100mg/kg PO every six hours daily.

I will just pick 40mg/kg orally four times a day.

So take one Cephalexin Pill, and crush finely using a mortar and pestle, take the powder and mix in with 10ml of water and mix thoroughly. It won’t dissolve all the way so it's important you shake during the whole process to try to distribute the powder somewhat evenly throughout the liquid.

You will be left with a mixture that contains 50mg of cephalexin per Ml.

She weighs about 3.3kg, so take that multiply by 40 and you have her dose which is 132mg four times a day.

That would mean you’d give her approx, 2.6ml of that liquid four times a day orally.

I’ve heard Cephalexin smells like cat urine so you may administer it when you know she hasn’t eaten for a while to reduce the risk of regurgitation.
Eye dropper down the throat?

So after an epsom/iodine soak tonight in the gathering darkness I had a go at the scab with tweezers, I’m sorry it was so dark, I was having a hard time seeing and she is like wrestling a greased pig, truly she’s unbelievable . It felt bigger than it looks here But I didn’t get any filling and there is still more scab there. I put a fresh duck shoe on her and more ointment. 😢
She was showing no problems till I checked, I’m afraid she will be in pain now. View attachment 2285392View attachment 2285393
Well done ! I think you are being a great Duck Parent ! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom