More humane to cull? More humane to live?

If it were me, I would cull. Its a sad quality of life and she can't live like a free and happy chicken. Like @JacinLarkwell said, it may even die a worse and slower death. I think it would be a good idea to cull.
Agreed,there's a saying-you can't farm with your heart.Raising animals requires the strength to make very tough choices at times that can break your heart,but believe me it will get easier! A healthy chicken is estactic all the time-if it isn't there's something wrong.

I'm so sorry that you're faced with this decision. Big hugs. :hugs

This is an extremely severe case. What is scary is that it's hard to tell how much worse it may get. The only right answer here is the one you can live with, and one that doesn't cause any suffering for her. Now or in the future.

If it is simply a matter of getting proper nutrition, that's easy enough to see to with supplemental tube feeding. It's easy and doesn't take long once you master it. However, this is a commitment that would need to be held for the bird's entire life. Some people just wouldn't be able to take on that responsibility, or extra expense. Which is understandable and okay. If that's not something you can commit to, I would cull her. It's hard to make this decision, but especially so when they are still perfectly healthy in every other way. As someone else mentioned, you could always try tube feeding for a week to see if that's something you want to do. If not, at least she won't be starving until you make your decision.

I personally would have culled when she was younger. That is neither here, nor there though. More hugs. :hugs

My chick, Fern, had a cross beak like that. She could barely get any food down as it got worse. We decided to help her live as long as her quality of life I felt was okay. But when she got weak and boney and frail and obviously had a bad quality of life, we put her down.

Back
Top Bottom