More light = more eggs!!

momofchicks

Songster
11 Years
Apr 23, 2008
Kentucky
Woo hoo ever since we added a timed light in the chicken house I have been getting more eggs. I have 7 hens and have been getting 5 eggs every other day for a week now.
wee.gif
We put the light in their house, it comes on at 6am and goes off at 8am. Today I already got 5 eggs by 11:30am.

Yep, they need 12-14 hours of light a day to be in "laying mode." Lots of folks use light to increase the lay season; I choose not to, and just let nature take its course. I figure, they all need a break now & then. But I completely understand those who choose to use light, as well! Enjoy your eggs!
smile.png

Quote:
So in the fall/winter when it's only daylight for 11 hours, will they not lay at all? Do some chickens stop completely in the winter or just slow down? I have a hen that lays everyday, will she stop or maybe just every 2 days?

Quote:
Depending on the breed and to some extent the individual chicken, they may stop completely or just slow down.
I'm like Wynette. I'm not adding additional light.

I keep a heat lamp on in the winter to keep the water from freezing and it gives the chickens additional warmth and light. Then the perks are also the girls keep on laying.

...and some of us that only have 4-5 hours of daylight in the winter really need to add artificial light... I can't afford to feed 50 birds over the winter if they're not laying eggs! Just make sure they have good feed and plenty of calcium.
wink.png

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

...and some of us that only have 4-5 hours of daylight in the winter really need to add artificial light... I can't afford to feed 50 birds over the winter if they're not laying eggs! Just make sure they have good feed and plenty of calcium.
wink.png

Oh I miss AK. I grew up in North Pole​

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

wink.png

I didn't want to have to feed mine if I wont get any eggs. I decided to add a light to the coop, which will be a heat lamp later on. I'm not getting any eggs right now, and it looks like a pillow blew up in the coop. (I'm guessing it's molting time.) By the way, how long do they go through molt for?
tongue.png

Goodness, I couldn't afford to feed 50 birds regardless of whether they're laying or not! Feed prices are going up, up, up!

I may be wrong in my theory, but I am thinking that by not using additional light through winter, my hens may actually lay better in their 3rd & 4th years. I theorize that they only lay so many total eggs in their lifetime, and by them taking a much-needed break in winter to recuperate a bit, their egg-laying years will be lengthened. Not at all sure whether or not I'm right, but it'll be interesting to find out.

That WOULD be interesting to track...
wink.png
And I know... feed is outrageous up here. We may be eating a few of the older birds this winter.
Well, I don't overextend the day, but since the girls pay for their feed with their eggs, I need to make sure that at least half of them are laying at any given time.
smile.png
And I have a heatlamp on their waterer that doubles as the extra light. Otherwise, in the winter, the sun barely reaches over the trees, and doesn't pack much of a punch. I'm thinking a full-spectrum lightbulb would help, too.

K~ molting is usually a couple of weeks, at least. I laughed at your "exploding pillow"...
lau.gif
yep, between the storms and molting, laying is down right now. We've got full sunshine today, so I'm guessing either today or tomorrow will be a banner-day.
big_smile.png

Hi nakactress! Leslie in North Pole is, well, in North Pole...
smile.png

frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom