1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

more on not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dfarrell, Sep 29, 2015.

1. dfarrell

dfarrell New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    My chickens have stopped laying. I have tried all suggestions and still only getting about 2 eggs maybe three a week from 5 chickens. I am not sure if this site will frown on me for thinking I need to harvest them and get a new flock. Do ya'll actually do that in this group? Anyway I am wondering if I should just start fresh since I am feeding them and getting nothing in return.

2. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    How old are your hens? And if you decide to kill/eat them that's really your decision. I'm likely going to do that in the long run. My chickens are still young though, 5mos 1wk and then 4mos (7 are older, 4 are younger). So I have a while before making a decision.

If your hens aren't old, what about weather? Are you guys having a shift like we are? We went from about 14+hr days down to about 12hr days.

3. dfarrell

dfarrell New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    No the weather has pretty much been the same they are 2 yrs plus this will be 3rd winter. 2 stopped laying prob over 6 mo ago I have 2 lav orpintons that layed all thru the winter last year. A pack of stray dogs traumatized them in early spring and my duck just finished molting. Has all her feathers again she was laying an egg a day before she molted. Nothing now but I think she just needs time the others not so sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by