more questions about treatment for mites

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickfan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    I have a bottle of Ivermetcin INJECTIBLE for cattle. I have read that some put ivermectin pour on, on the backs of chickens. I'm wondering if I can do that with the injectible? I know to use just a couple of drops on bantams, and a tiny bit more on larger chickens, of the pour on. And if It is OK to do this, do I need to hold off eating the eggs, and if so, for how long? I have been reading several hours today, and can't seem to find the exact answers I need.
    I have seen mites on two chickens..have looked at 4 others and don't see them. Makes no sense to me. I'll treat them all (32 chickens). I have guineas and ducks that will be impossible to catch, I fear. They all interact nicely, so I hope they are not carrying any mites. I have treated the two that I saw the mites on, with DE.
    Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i've used the pour on and it works great...... you better check things out n be positive before you use chemicals on your flock....... i think the pour on is only 10 bucks,, check ebay or amazon....... it will last you for years!!!!

4. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    and just as a precaution i didn't eat eggs for 3 or 4 weeks, don't remember........ treat birds then treat them again in 10 days i think.............. i think "speckled hen" gave me the info when i had trouble....maybe you can private message her...

5. chickfan

chickfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Leander, TX
    Thank you both for your replies. I pulled up the website and see lots of information, so I've saved it and will read. I may just buy some pour-on and then throw away the eggs for a few days. I'll read more before I make a decision. I'm going to get rid of a few soon, and I don't want to be spreading mites around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by