More Questions On Bobwhites

Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
More questions I want to know:
1. What bedding can I use?

2. Can I house them in a 40-gallon reptile tank? If not, why?

3. At about how many weeks old will they start to become productive (like laying, nesting, and brooding)?

4. Can they handle being on a wire-floor?

5. Do bobwhite quails build nests?

6. Is it okay to use sand as bedding? If it's not okay, explain why.

7. Do wood shavings like aspen or pine cut down on the odor?

8. Do they need roosts? If not, tell why.

9. Do bobwhites need a nest box? Tell me why, if they don't need one.

10. Are bobwhite quails cold-hardy; can they withstand the chilling, extreme cold?

11. Can you tame quails from chicks? I've seen videos of them that are unbelievably tame. If so, how do you tame one from a chick?

12. Which type of heat lamp should I use?

13. What should the ratio of male to female bobwhites be?

14. How long do these quails live?

15. Last, but not least, can you please show me photos of your regular (not jumbo) bobwhites and jumbo bobwhites standing next to each other? Thanks, because I would like to know the size difference between the 2, and a photo will be very helpful.

I will gladly appreciate any help from you folks!

Note: I have been doing lots of research. Sometimes, but not all the time, accidentally run to the wrong track, as I seemingly can't really get the exact answers. These questions are really meant to narrow down to the exact answers I need to know, so no need to worry.

Last edited:
More questions I want to know:
1. What bedding can I use? You can use pine shavings, grass hay or sand (use sand only after they are a month old as they may confuse it with food and eat it) You can raise chicks on wire as well.

2. Can I house them in a 40-gallon reptile tank? If not, why? It is not recommended to brood chicks in glass tanks. The glass over heats very easily and can kill the chicks.

3. At about how many weeks old will they start to become productive (like laying, nesting, and brooding)? Bobwhites are not mature until the following spring after their hatch. So you will not see any breeding or egg laying until next year.

4. Can they handle being on a wire-floor? Both chicks and adults can be kept on wire, however make sure to offer them places to get off the wire in the corners, dusting pans, etc...

5. Do bobwhite quails build nests? Yes if you offer up grass hay, they can make very elaborate nests.

6. Is it okay to use sand as bedding? If it's not okay, explain why. Sand is an excellent medium for adult quail. However never start chicks on it. They eat everything and will eat the sand as if it is food and it will kill them. Adults will not do this. I use sand in all my aviaries, chicken runs, coops etc... Love sand! It absorbs poop smells, repels flies, stays dry when wet and you can hose it down in the summer to keep the birds really cool.

7. Do wood shavings like aspen or pine cut down on the odor? Never use Cedar wood shavings. The oils in it can kill your birds. Pine only. Shavings absorb the poop and can help to reduce smells.

8. Do they need roosts? If not, tell why. They enjoy climbing around on branches however they don't sleep in them like chickens might roost. Quail sleep on or near the floor. They do like to get up off the floor if they can on railroad ties or something similar.

9. Do bobwhites need a nest box? Tell me why, if they don't need one. They will build nests in the corners and may possibly use a box, however don't count on nesting boxes. So I wouldn't waste the space on a box.

10. Are bobwhite quails cold-hardy; can they withstand the chilling, extreme cold? Yes. They are very cold hardy. However they can only survive the brutal cold winter temps if they have a place to go that is completely out of the wind, rain, snow and are not only wire. So a small coop will be needed. Solid floor, 4 walls, ceiling, bedding to snuggle into.

11. Can you tame quails from chicks? I've seen videos of them that are unbelievably tame. If so, how do you tame one from a chick? Bobs are not that tamable. Handle them a LOT as chicks and continue to handle them as adults. If you kept one in the house and it bonded with you because there were no other Bobs around, you might have a friendly Bob. However most adult Bobs, even those that have been handled like crazy as chicks, do NOT like to be handled at all and will still panic and even injure themselves when you do try to handle them. They are not snuggley little birds. They can be friendly enough to come running when they see you, eat from your hand, even trained to go into their coop. But they just do not like to be touched.

12. Which type of heat lamp should I use? Infra Red 100 watt will do

13. What should the ratio of male to female bobwhites be? Bobs mate for life with one bird. The female picks the male, not the other way around. One male to one female. Do not try to keep pairs together or 2 hens with 1 male. One of these females will end up dead.

14. How long do these quails live? The average lifespan of captive quail is 2 to 5 years. However I have an 8 year old hen right now (and a couple of 6 year old males). The hen is no longer laying, but she is still healthy and going strong.

15. Last, but not least, can you please show me photos of your regular (not jumbo) bobwhites and jumbo bobwhites standing next to each other? Thanks, because I would like to know the size difference between the 2, and a photo will be very helpful. So some research on Northern Bobwhites compared to Georgia Giant Bobwhites if you are looking for size and weight differences.

I will gladly appreciate any help from you folks!

Note: I have been doing lots of research. Sometimes, but not all the time, accidentally run to the wrong track, as I seemingly can't really get the exact answers. These questions are really meant to narrow down to the exact answers I need to know, so no need to worry. Good luck!! :)

Back
Top Bottom