More Silver Duckwing Phoenix

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horseyjess, Nov 3, 2011.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Ok so here are the three boys we have here. Two standard and one Bantam. Was wondering how they are looking to the experts. These guys came from eggs from other members [​IMG]> Wonder if they can pick thier birds out. I am still waiting paitently for one of thier birdsto start laying so I can possibly have more than just roosters!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bentley

Bentley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    I know from the Silver Phoenix I raise and the people I visit with their are a couple of things to watch as you breed and select future breeders. The chest should be a solid black in color. In some strains (some of mine) you have to fight that to clean it up and get the solid black chest in the males. The other thing that most US Phoenix (especially hatchery stock) don't possess is the upward blade of the comb. The Phoenix should have a comb that has the back blade off and pulling up away from the back of the head. This is somewhat unique to Phoenix and most hatcheries completely ignore this, as they do many other traits. And, of course you always want a long and full tail and sickle feathers, in both the roosters and hens.

Good luck!!!

3. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    How your opinion Aubrey (boggy bottom bantams)? The first is out of the eggs I got from you this past spring. I think he is turning out pretty nice, to bad he is an only child cause the racoons got the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by