More table scraps = fewer eggs ?

I know mine too. I have around 200 chickens (lost count after last broody hatches, at least 19 for two of them!) and a duck. I absolutely know who is the queen bee. I also know the ranking of my 5 main roosters and the 10 or so junior roosters (some of which will be heading to freezer camp soon).

I think I spend more time with them than my human family so I am very aware if the dynamics of my flock.

Back to the OP original question: Does feeding of table scrap=less eggs. Not according to my chickens as they insist on a varied diet. On the other hand, chickens do need the proper nutrients to produce eggs. Chickens like table scraps and, like kids who insist on candy, will eat scraps before eating a pelleted diet. So the informed chicken owner will limit table scraps to prevent picky eating.

There are a few reasons chickens drop egg production: Less light (days getting shorter in the fall), getting ready to molt, age and disease.

Also be on the lookout for the occasional egg-eater and look for a hidden nest.

Hope this helps.

And when it comes to flock dynamics: talk to the hand cause this old chick ain't talking about that.

Back to the OP original question: Does feeding of table scrap=less eggs. Not according to my chickens as they insist on a varied diet. On the other hand, chickens do need the proper nutrients to produce eggs. Chickens like table scraps and, like kids who insist on candy, will eat scraps before eating a pelleted diet. So the informed chicken owner will limit table scraps to prevent picky eating. There are a few reasons chickens drop egg production: Less light (days getting shorter in the fall), getting ready to molt, age and disease. Also be on the lookout for the occasional egg-eater and look for a hidden nest. Hope this helps. And when it comes to flock dynamics: talk to the hand cause this old chick ain't talking about that.
I totally agree about the eggs laying. Seas and stress are the to big reasons for lower egg production. I also love the pic. She has the right idea.

I have a flock of 5..we used get about 3-4 eggs a day

but now only 1-2 a day..

my leghorn stopped laying for the last 6-7+ days for some reason.. :/

You never really stated what was their complete diet when they were laying 3-4 eggs per day, and what is their diet now that they lay 1-2 per day.

The subject of the thread suggests you changed their diet to incorporate more table scraps, but maybe quantifying all of this would help people to help you?

You never really stated what was their complete diet when they were laying 3-4 eggs per day, and what is their diet now that they lay 1-2 per day.

The subject of the thread suggests you changed their diet to incorporate more table scraps, but maybe quantifying all of this would help people to help you?

we didn't change their diet.. the same organic feeds as before..

exept my family is feeding them a lot of table scraps/fruits/veggies, etc.

i got my feeds from this place
http://www.phoenixorganicfeed.com/prices.html

speaking of which.. my leghorn laid an egg today

Last edited:
If they are only 5 months they may still be figuring out their laying cycle. I assume they haven't been laying too long.

++ the above comments on scraps. Just don't feed them junk (empty carbs, excessive fat, etc...) and keep it at <10% of their diet.

Back
Top Bottom