More Whooping Cranes shot

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jenjscott, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Whooping Cranes shot. Someone has shot and killed 3 young whooping cranes. Hundreds of thousands of dollars and hours spent trying to reintroduce Whooping Cranes to an eastern flyway, and some idiot shoots 3 of them. There are only like a hundred of them on the eastern flyway. Last year, someone shot the female of one of the few breeding pairs in the group, and now this last year's hatch. Sickening.

Subject: DAR JUVENILES SHOT IN GEORGIA Location: Main Office
    Georgia Department of Natural Resources reported that necropsy results revealed that the cause of death of the three Whooping Cranes found December 30, 2010 in Calhoun County, Georgia, was gunshot. An investigation is underway. The cranes, according to the landowner of the property where they were found by hunters, had been in the area for a few weeks.

The deceased Whooping Cranes were part of a ten year effort of the Whooping Crane Eastern Partnership (WCEP) to reintroduce the species into the eastern United States. The three juveniles were released in Wisconsin in October 2010 with eight other first-year birds as part of the Direct Autumn Release (DAR) program operated by the Baraboo, Wisconsin based International Crane Foundation (ICF). The young DAR cranes generally follow older Whooping Cranes or Sandhill Cranes to learn a migration route south in search of suitable wintering habitat. The cranes were banded and equipped with transmitters and were not part of Operation Migration’s ultralight-led migration reintroduction program.

A reward will be posted for information leading to an arrest. OM’s Board of Directors, via a special call, moved to make a contribution toward that reward. “It was the Board of Director’s feeling that it is important that Operation Migration demonstratively support both Whooping Cranes and project partner, the International Crane Foundation.” said Board Chair, Paul Young

Operation Migration CEO, Joe Duff, said, “It is a bitter pill to swallow to have WCEP’s efforts to safeguard the endangered Whooping Crane from extinction so callously disregarded. For this magnificent species with an already tenuous hold on survival, these mortalities are tragic. We can only hope the perpetrators of this reprehensible act can be identified so that appropriate justice can be meted out.”

US Fish & Wildlife Law Enforcement Special Agent Hasting asks that any individuals with knowledge of the shooting contact him at 404-763-7959.

2. ndemerly

ndemerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Owosso, MI
    Around here, cranes mean big damage to crops. Not sure about how it is in Arkansas though. [​IMG]
    Not saying that it's right, just how it is.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  3. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oh my gosh, this makes me so sad to hear. [​IMG] I cannot believe someone would do that after all of the effort, time, money, and love that goes into trying to save these majestic birds from extinction. Why are people so stupid and awful sometimes? I simply cannot comprehend why someone would do such a thing. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I hope they catch and REALLY fine/jail the creep.

5. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    That is so sad! What is wrong with some people? Put down your guns - give peace a chance.

6. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Quote:I'm not anti gun, so that's not where I'm coming from. I am assuming you must be talking something besides whooping cranes, since there are so few of them. Where they were killed is wintering ground, they don't arrive until after the farming season.

7. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Quote:We have Sandhills, and yes they are annoying [​IMG] I'm not sure if I've seen any whooping crane in these parts.

8. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    In December, cranes wouldn't be doing any crop damage. As the Eastern population of whoopers is under 100, I doubt that they would cause any crop damage, anywhere. People are allowed to hunt sandhills, and probably some dumbass didn't realize what he was shooting at. The black wing tips should be a tip off, but some people simply don't pay attention and don't care.

This is a sad, sad thing. This population is extremely small, and the loss of any of the birds is tragic.

9. babylady4

babylady4 Mother Goose

Mar 30, 2009
    Central WI
    Whooping cranes are an endangered species, so if any of you have seen them you are VERY lucky! The very abundant crane you do see is the Sandhill, and yes it is a pest but still beautiful.

So sad to hear this again... the people in Baraboo have been working very hard to get this species re-established in the wild. They should send those kids to the crane foundation for some community service time cleaning up after the birds there.

BTW, Whooping cranes are white, sandhills are beige/gray. The only other birds they could possibly be mistaken for would be an egret or a white heron, but their sheer size would dwarf any of those making identification very easy.

10. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    This is maddening. It's just senseless.

This thread reminds me though of a summer drive me and my daughters took this summer in our parts--Northern Illinois. We got to gravel roads and were enjoying coming across steers and chickens in backroad farms... One low lying corn feild was flooded and there in the flood waters were 2 herons and a white bird but after looking at the white birds of similar shape I think it may have been an egret. I still was wondering why though it was with 2 blue herons? Forgot about that until now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by