More women are into chickens.........

well I think the brooding and incubating and nesting and egglaying are all women stuff....oh no ....no I am not being stereotyped.....

I think historically in farming the family chickens tended to be the woman's domain, as was the family vegetable garden. I know my grandfather was out in the fields during the day, and couldn't really tend to the family animals. But, my grandmother was in the home and the chickens were one of the tools she had to keep everyone fed and maybe contribute a bit to the family income. From caring for them to butchering. Milking was hers as well. This was true of my farming great grandparents as well. So, I think maybe for the same reasons (logistics and it being part of nesting) that this hold even now. This is a major generalization, and I'm talking about the small time chicken owners.

Interesting topic!

I'm not sure. I thought there were bound to be alot of women in chickens locally here in RI but I was shocked to find it nearly all men in the chicken groups for showing locally. Older men too. I just never thought of chickens as being a very masculine hobby.
hu.gif

If you scope out the coop construction area you will notice that there are many men actively raising birds and being incredibly supportive of their SOs, as well as being very active in the forum. I would assume, based on no statisticial evidence, that we all discuss what we are most comfortable with and just look around the other areas once in a while. Additionally I know several men who raise birds but are not internet users so you will never see them here.

Back
Top Bottom