mosquitoes as predators

Here in South Jersey, I think the mosquitos are larger than the most birds. We also say that the state bird is the mosquito. I recently bought a gallon of Mosquito Barrier (search it on the internet). It is a garlic based product that you spray around the yard and controls mosqquitos, ticks, gnats and other insects but does not effect beneficials.

It does leave a garlic smell that supposedly lasts about an hour but I think it was more like a day. My wife thought it was the pizza that smelled so good but it was me spraying.

Anyway so far it has worked fairly well. Last summer we could not go outside to do anything. Our kids were confined inside and we had just gotten a new swing set. This year they are outside (thank God
ya.gif
) most of the day and into the evening with little to no complaint about the bugs. My wife and I are able to go outside and work in the garden, hang with the chicks and ducks, and just relax outside.

The product says it lasts for about 6 weeks and it has been about 3 weeks and still holding strong. So I give that product - two thumbs up. It is somewhat expensive but if it works I am more than happy.
thumbsup.gif

One word of caution about bug zappers. Large bugs, like moths, will fall to the ground as a burning ember. If the zapper is in the barn, it is easy to burn your barn down. Hay, straw, wood shavings, etc. don't mix well with hot sparks. Make sure you know what's under and around your zappers.

We had a bug zapper when I was a kid living in Wisconsin. Without it, we literally could not go outside. The funniest thing was when a June bug would fly in to it. Cheap entertainment.

I know it probably wouldn't help for this year, but you might want to think about building one or two bat houses. I am always looking for natural ways to do things (hence the reason I built my own bee hive this year), and "According to Bat Conservation International, a single bat can capture 500 to 1,000 mosquitoes in a single hour!". Sounds like they would be a tremendous help. I don't know how long it would take to attract a bat to your bat house, but I believe nature almost always does a better job than we do when it comes to things like pest control. Just a thought. Here is a link to a quick and easy bat house plan, you might have all the material you need already. http://www.batcon.org/pdfs/bathouses/SingleChamberBHPlans.pdf

Last edited:
Quote:
hi enola, these fish are available at walmart? are they mixed in the same tank as the goldfish? i have an almost 2 acre pond, i would need alot of these bad boys!
tongue.png

You know, I haven't had a mosquito problem this year. Flies, yes, mosquito's no. I do have local bats (don't have a bat house, but would like one) and they must be doing a great job!

utefan_42, I have two bee colonies at the moment. Love my bees!

--Cathy

chirpchirp, the mosquito fish come in occassionally, Wal~Mart does not know the difference.

Actually, the dumb department manager thought they were giant female guppies and took them home and put them in his guppy tank. They are mean little boogers, now none of his male guppies have tails any more and all the guppy fry are gone !

So, if you find fish that look like guppies in their goldfish tank, you are looking at gambusia (mosquito fish)

Back
Top Bottom