Mosquitos

Cimba

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
With the rain we are having, there has been a great hatching of these things. They are all over the chickens. what can I do or use that will not hurt the chickens? Thank you.

I have one of those big electric bug zappers in my yard and it works great! It's noisy but, it's like watching sparklers at night
clap.gif
& I'll take the noise over being eatin alive by bugs. My chickens just discovered the motherload under it the other day : ) lol Boy were they happy. i leave it on 24/7 for the first few weeks, then just at night. I think you can spray skin-so-soft on their body and it won't hurt them. Also dump anything that has sitting water in it and/or put mosquitoes dunks (safe for pets & fish) in all standing water that can breed them.

I didn't know that mosquitoes bite chickens.

Getting rid of the standing water is the first line of defense.

Bug zappers kill lots of bugs besides mosquitoes, but the mother lode underneath might make it worthwhile for the chickens.

I have heard that planting herbs will keep flies and mosquitoes away. Pennyroyal, lavender, rosemary, and basil are strongly scented. Maybe some of them would work.

Chris

Chickens not only get bit by mosquitos, but small flocks of chickens are used as sentinels to detect the spread of the West Nile Virus. During mosquito season the flocks are checked to see if any has gotten the virus and that way they know that there are mosquitos in the area that can spread the virus.

Back
Top Bottom