most amazing rooster ever (bossaroo)

dan_grow

Chirping
9 Years
May 21, 2010
st. Louis
just yesterday i lost my favorite rooster, he was an oegb who used to fly into a tree in my back yard, he was my only roo who was quite enough that my neighbors didn't mined him and the hens were starting to except him but not his lady that came with him since she is to small to leave alone with a group of full sized overly agressive hens im going to go and bu maybe two hens and another oegb roo in the hopes of giving her companions and a quite roo for my hens.

so my qustion is if i were to get any breed of chicken today what breed would you want me to get?

P.S. i found my old roo's body and asked a vet if she would check to see what killed him (this was all yesterday) she said his organs were all shaped strange and his hip opening was to short so he might have been extremely inbred

edit*
58223_boss.png

Last edited:
sorry to hear that....poor guy.

What type of chicken are you looking for? (meaning do you want eggs, or meat or does it matter?)
Where do you live, is it very cold or hot?
How much room do you have?

I have several different kinds, RIR, (she hops in my lap practically) BSL (does the same, very tame)
Gold Star, EE, Australorp, BR, California White (she is very small, they don't get large, about 5 lbs full grown)
The Australorps are the largest I have, very impressive pullets.

Depends on all those questions....

** if you want companions for your small one, the smallest "full sized" chicken I have is the California White, a good layer of white eggs.
I also have a silkie and a chochin/silkie mix, that are small.

Good luck, sorry I am not much help.

Last edited:
JodyJo my backyard used to house 30 chickens now im down graded to 7 so size isn't a problem im just mostly looking for a friend for my smallest hen i might get a bantam rir and a black Cornish i always wanted some of those....

68634_dsc_0112-2.jpg

Here is a pic of my silkie/cochin mix...she is not tiny, but not large either...

68634_dsc_0096.jpg

And my silkie...not sure yet how she will do with the winter snows here in Colorado with those feathered feet, actually both of these have that issue...
guess we will wait and see. The silkie is a hoot to watch run and flap her way to food etc....and makes a cute sound also.

thanks
big_smile.png
! and i have to say your silkie Cochin mix looks better then any pure Cochin i've ever seen. also i'll see if my feed store guy has any Cochins i think he might also have a silkie or two left i might be interested in.

thanks for the advise
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom