Most broody breeds?

I have the opposite problem with my Australorps. They can easily incubate 12 to 15 eggs at a time, but they can only manage to raise 5 or 6 chicks.
That’s great I’m looking for a broody hen which can incubate 12-15 eggs approximately can they do duck eggs?

Cochins, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, and Australorps. Although, keep in mind, it's never a guarantee and hens rarely go broody when actually want them to. And it's always a good idea to have an incubator and brooder on stand-by, just incase.
Thanks! Might consider the australorp and Orpington as they look quite big bodied

My Australorps are actually some of the smallest bodied birds in my flock. Bigger than my Minorca, but definitely smaller than my Barred Rocks, Wyandotte, and Easter Eggers. A bigger hen doesn't always mean she can cover more eggs than a smaller hen.
Oh ok thanks! Sorry I’m new to broody subjects until yesterday I’ve incubated all my eggs I’ve just added a broody silkie yesterday .thanks for the Advice! I will do more reaserch to determine who I can add to my flock.... are Australorps friendly?

Oh ok thanks! Sorry I’m new to broody subjects until yesterday I’ve incubated all my eggs I’ve just added a broody silkie yesterday .thanks for the Advice! I will do more reaserch to determine who I can add to my flock.... are Australorps friendly?
Not so much friendly, but they are gentle. And very tolerant of me sticking my hands under them to candle eggs and check on chicks.

I have two autralorps that are super friendly and gentle. They haven't gone broody but they are currently my only two adult hens and I have 9, 6 week chicks and a possible roo. I'm wondering if they will once he's grown. They are in my profile picture, I can't wait to see how they take to the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom