most effective way to insulate a coop to reduce noise?

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
Hello all,
This morning around 5, my hens decided to lead each other in numerous rounds of the egg song, I actually had to go beat on the coop to get them to quit.
They seem be doing this a lot lately, I'm concerned that I'm upsetting the neighbors, and they might blame my rooster.
my rooster crows about 5:45-6, less than 15 times, more, if the other roosters in the area are going, and he just clucks (Which amuses me to no end since he has such a deep voice) the rest of the day, he's very quiet unless there's wild animals or dogs near the run.

Long story short, I need to sound dampen my coop because my hens are loud! What's an effective, and less expensive way to insulate them?

The short answer is that you can't.
Insulating the roof can help with summer sun beating down on it, if there's no shade. Insulating the wall facing the neighbors might help a bit.
BUT, actually sound proofing, or nearly, means no ventilation for the birds, and dead birds.
Chickens talk! It's who they are, and if your birds are legal, and the coop complies with local codes, learn to enjoy them. Offer eggs to the neighbors too.
Mary

I live in rural town, we don't have any city laws, we have the the county laws but there's no laws regarding poultry one way or another.
I've had chickens here for over 20 years, including several show roosters, the only change in the last 2 years is houses that only had weekenders and stood empty 10 months out of the year, now have full time occupants.
Truth be told, if I have to listen to their dogs and music that's so loud that can hear it in my house, they can listen to my chickens do something productive!:duc
My coop is a single door, outhouse style coop, the roof's peak (the front) faces my house. since the human sized (2'x5'6") door (the only entry) is left open all day, I'm not worried about the ventilation, at night, i open the ports on either side on the door. I'm planning on insulating the walls that face the neighbors, not necessarily the one facing the house. I don't think the neighbors to the side or immediately behind us hear them very much.
I didn't notice anything amiss when I checked on them, but they were yelling for a few minutes by then. We had javelina yesterday so maybe they came back around.

I've had chickens here for over 20 years, including several show roosters, the only change in the last 2 years is houses that only had weekenders and stood empty 10 months out of the year, now have full time occupants.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who moves into the country ought to expect country sounds -- including chickens. :)

Long story short, I need to sound dampen my coop because my hens are loud! What's an effective, and less expensive way to insulate them?
I'm planning on insulating the walls that face the neighbors, not necessarily the one facing the house. I don't think the neighbors to the side or immediately behind us hear them very much.
In my experience the real trouble comes when folks are sleeping with their windows open.. which also dampens outdoor noise.

Now for me.. even thought the neighbors aren't complaining, you may have valid cause for concern.. and I'm not talking about laws. It seems as though it's much easier to live in peace with neighbors even if they're new to the scene. I do notice this is YOUR concern though.. just like it would be MY concern.. and many times when I approach MY neighbors, they are actually clueless to my concern and not actually experiencing frustration despite my fear of exactly that. So having a conversation with them, and sharing some eggs as suggested *might* be a good idea. I let them know that if they have an issue and approach me with kindness instead of anger that it will be reciprocated with every effort on my part to correct any VALID concern to the best of my ability with patience on their part.

So for me.. I'm not looking at insulation per say but rather sound dampening and maybe even direction. This will include plantings along the fence maybe the wall of the coop. I'm looking at the kinds of things they did for our homes to reduce echo.. like acoustic ceiling. Or maybe something like they use in a music studio.. a ripply cushion type something.. only thinking not cushion.. something that might absorb sound instead of reflect or amplify it.. I wonder about pebble tech type surface put on fence or building walls?? Maybe some sort of cloth.. like at the movie theater..

Brainstorming anyways! :fl

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who moves into the country ought to expect country sounds -- including chickens. :)
I talked to our nearest neighbors about the roosters, and they said it made it sound like country, and they liked it.
Mary

Since the weather has been cooler here, the elk are starting to bugle. If you get up about 6, you can hear the birds and forest noises, elk bugling and roosters in the distance.
I love it.

In my experience the real trouble comes when folks are sleeping with their windows open.. which also dampens outdoor noise.

Now for me.. even thought the neighbors aren't complaining, you may have valid cause for concern.. and I'm not talking about laws. It seems as though it's much easier to live in peace with neighbors even if they're new to the scene. I do notice this is YOUR concern though.. just like it would be MY concern.. and many times when I approach MY neighbors, they are actually clueless to my concern and not actually experiencing frustration despite my fear of exactly that. So having a conversation with them, and sharing some eggs as suggested *might* be a good idea. I let them know that if they have an issue and approach me with kindness instead of anger that it will be reciprocated with every effort on my part to correct any VALID concern to the best of my ability with patience on their part.

So for me.. I'm not looking at insulation per say but rather sound dampening and maybe even direction. This will include plantings along the fence maybe the wall of the coop. I'm looking at the kinds of things they did for our homes to reduce echo.. like acoustic ceiling. Or maybe something like they use in a music studio.. a ripply cushion type something.. only thinking not cushion.. something that might absorb sound instead of reflect or amplify it.. I wonder about pebble tech type surface put on fence or building walls?? Maybe some sort of cloth.. like at the movie theater..

Brainstorming anyways! :fl
I have approximately 180 Sq feet of walls and ceiling I need to cover, so I'm looking for the most cost effective, storm harder, lol!
I don't believe my neighbor to my side can here them unless their windows are open, and for all I know, I could be very concerned about nothing, I need to get some eggs cartons so I can start giving out peace offerings.
Now that an outer structure has been mentioned, I'm thinking about a rock wall.
Rocks are free!

Back
Top Bottom