Most Humane Method to Cull

thumbsup.gif

Hugs to you Purpletree for doing what was best for your girl.
hugs.gif

I think what you did was perfectly quick and painless for your hen. I had to do my first this past summer and I was also horrified at how much movement there was afterwards, and I chose decapitation. It made me glad that I did not try the broken neck because I would been convinced that I didn't do it right. Rest easy that you put the needs of your girl above your own comfort and that she is fine now.

Bless you for your kindness.

hugs.gif
I think you did just fine. It's hands down the worst part of keeping critters, but you did what was best for your girl regardless of how hard it was on you and that takes real courage.
hugs.gif

My hen is suffering from a prolapsed vent and I'm hopeful she will get better. If she doesn't I won't be able to be the one to put her down. Sorry for your loss and having to go through this.

I don't have my chickens yet but I have thought about how I will handle this situation when it comes time. I don't think I can do it. I have never intentionally killed anything in my life. I even take spiders outside. I really want chickens and I have spent over $8000 to have a very nice coop built, but what will I do when one of them gets sick and is suffering? I may be stronger when the time comes than I think I am. I wish I could find someone near me who I could take the chicken to and they would do it kindly and humanely and I could just drive away. Kind of like a Dr. Kavorkian for chickens.
sad.png

Yes- chickens- at the point of death will flap and move their legs (remember the quote about running around like a chicken with it's head cut off- this can actually happen). It is not that the chicken was afraid or in pain & fighting to get away, but that random nerve firings are causing muscle contractions. It can be very dramatic in chickens. Wrapping them in a towel, or similar will decrease the flapping, but it will still happen. The killing/restraint cone prevents it somewhat when bleeding a chicken out, but it is to prevent bruising the meat and to keep things more calm and clean. I would not recommend cutting the neck to bleed them out as the humane choice for a pet chicken- this takes several minutes to die- it is for creating a tasty meal, not for instant death. I would recommend decapitation or other method of instant brain death. Inhalation of pure CO2 is no longer considered humane by most labs- it is not lack of O2 that makes us feel like we are suffocating- it is the buildup of Co2 in the system. Car exhaust is a combo of many things- including CO, Co2 and lots of smelly nasty stuff that is unpleasant to breath for anyone including a chicken. I know you have already done the deed, you did fine- and your chicken very likely felt next to nothing before she passed.

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Chickmate,

I think if you're investing that kind of money in your chickens, it's worth investing a little more and finding a vet who will euthanize your chickens for you when the time comes. I am like you -- I can't kill anything. I didn't know this when I got chickens and I imagined that I'd toughen up and become a strong farm woman like so many wonderful people here on BYC. BUT NO. When my first chicken got sick, I was in denial, until the point when the other hens started picking on her quite badly. I felt HORRIBLE. So I instantly got my axe and took her out back to dispatch her. She was so weak she just lay there. It took two or three chops, unfortunately. And let me tell you -- I felt so awful after that that I vowed never to kill my chickens myself again. Yes, morally I'm obliged to do it. But. I. Can't.

When another hen got sick -- eggbound -- I took her to the vet. It cost $40 to put her down. Insane? Maybe. But definitely worth $40 not to have to kill my pet. I've spent more for less.

If you spent thousands of dollars on a coop, you're not getting chickens to save money... so find a vet!

Back
Top Bottom