Most Humane Method to Cull

purpletree23

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Need help my friends. I have a hen who needs to be put down in the morning if she is not better than she was tonight . I was going to use the 'twist and pull' method but I just read that it is best used on chicks and not adults. If I have an ax and a large log will it be quick and fairly painless?

Please don't suggest freezing or trying to use carbon monoxide.

What is the best way to hold her on the stump? Will the ax still kill her if I hid her face with a sock so I don't have to look at her eyes?

Please don't laugh at me I just need to do what's best for her. It will be hard on me (my first cull) but she comes first. I want her to go quick.

Now I can't stop crying!

When we process our birds, we take twine and hang it from a tree branch. Make a very loose slip knot. Hang the bird by it's legs, it will relax rather quickly. When it's completely relaxed, the blood has rushed to it's head. We just make a quick slit on the neck, the bird bleeds out very quickly. Hope this helps. I'm sorry you have to do this.

Hugs to you also bragabit. Lets both pray/hope that someone comes through for us. I don't want her to suffer.

Last edited:
Thank you flashpointfarm. Will the hen flap a lot and spray blood? I just want to be prepared if that will be the case.

This is a tough subject and I thank you for your input.

If you want to cut her, just hold on to her so she does not flap around. Its easier if you had a killing cone.

I'd prefer the broomstick method.

Yes, she will flap a bit. How much depends on her flightiness level. My husband usually takes a very sharp knife, makes a quick cut and stands back. If you let her hang before you do it for a couple of minutes, she's going to be out of her misery very quickly.

A few more questions flashpoint. Is there a preference of which side I cut? Do I hold her heat down and tight before cutting? I'm assuming that if my knife is sharp enough that the feathers will not hinder the cutting.

Thank you again

Yes, hold the head, bird facing away from you. Make the cut and stand back. You don't have to look. Just turn around and walk away. Come back in a few minutes. Hose the area well afterwards so as not to attract flies/wasps/predators.

Back
Top Bottom