Most interesting hybrid show we have the results!

Hello and thanks for creating such an interesting category.

First, here are my two Barnevelder x Rhode Island Red hens Fussy and Prissy
46932_prissy_n_fussy.jpg

A close-up of Fussy
46932_fussy_barnie_x_rir.jpg

A close-up of Prissy (my favorite)
46932_prissy_barnie_x_rir.jpg

The next three pictures are of the Easter Egger's I hatched earlier this year. Their are 3 Buckeyes in with them, but is will be pretty easy to pick them out; they are the only ones without fancy feathers and beards...lol. All except one of these are my Easter Egger rooster's offspring over my Delaware, Barnevelder, Rhode Island Red, Buff Orpington, Red Star, Blue Andalusian, and Easter Egger Hens. Their is one little black and white speckled cockeral (center of 3rd picture) that is the work of my bantam Ameraucana: I have no idea who the mama is though
hu.gif

46932_juvenile_birds.jpg

46932_ee_hens.jpg

46932_buckeyes_and_colorful_ee.jpg

Now for my Non-Chicken Crosses....

I submit Maybell my Brown Swiss x Guernsey cross dairy cow. She is currently bred back to a Guernsey bull and due in October.

46932_maybell_may_12th.jpg

And Finally, here is Lightning. His mother was a Nigerian dwarf goat and his father a Nubian: He has the speckled muzzle, ears, and purple tongue just like a Nubian. He is the one in front...

46932_light_n_hersh_4-09.jpg

Him as a young buckling....
46932_lightning.jpg

IVAN BUSTOFF - 1/2 Buff Orpington 1/2 Meyer hatchery Australorpy looking mess (was sold by Meyer as a Jersey Giant).

009-7.jpg

But I love what the messed up hatchery bird had in him. Because of the mess BUS has throw some Cool Looking offspring.

Like this Silver Salmon breasted Duckwing pullet
002-25.jpg

Her dad is BOSS HOGG & is a son of a BUS
019-7.jpg

Daughter of BUS with a Black Orp mom
006-19.jpg

Another daughter of BUS who has a Blue Splash Orpington as her mom. Can you say BUS's dad the Meyer hatchery Black is mixed up?
Again I am not complaining. I would NEVER have so much to play with for using the BUS.
007-13.jpg

And three more of the BUS's kids. The Black cockerel, the Exchequer and the Blue Brown Red pullet who is also from the purebred Blue Orp hen.
008-9.jpg

And ofcourse the first bird I posted on this thread. He came from most likely this crowd right above.
ALL in the BUS's family
001-26.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Nice. That one hen looks a lot like a Black Copper Marans and I love the first pullet...just awesomely unique!

Why thank you!!

Your Red girls like Fussy are very cool looking. IF I can have that Red in an Orp I would be in heaven.

And Maybell goes with out saying. She is adorable. I bet she is like a puppy dog. Very sweet!!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
Nice. That one hen looks a lot like a Black Copper Marans and I love the first pullet...just awesomely unique!

Why thank you!!

Your Red girls like Fussy are very cool looking. IF I can have that Red in an Orp I would be in heaven.

And Maybell goes with out saying. She is adorable. I bet she is like a puppy dog. Very sweet!!

Maybell is a big slobbery puppy dog. She didn't start out that way though. The people I purchased her from only touched her when milking and herded her with a 4-wheeler. The day we picked her up she was frantic (separated her from the calf they had her nursing then chased her into a loading chute where she was left all day w/o food or water) and my husband was like, are you serious...we are really buying that cow? It took us weeks of patiently hanging out with her and giving her positive reinforcement via treats to be able to touch her other than milking. Now, if she doesn't get her ears scratched when you visit her she get offended. She dearly loves the goat shown as well. They are buddies and although she could squish him if she wanted...lets him be boss of the pasture: It's really cute to watch.

A red Orp...wow, now that would be quite a sight wouldn't it? I wonder if crossing a Buckeye or RIR rooster with Orp hens may produce some accidental reds along the way? I am new to the whole genetics/breeding thing. It's amazing what beautiful birds some of the crosses are though. I honestly like some of them better than the pure breeds.
hide.gif

Last edited:
1MrsMagoo :

I am sure you could make them. I know they have them over seas. For now I have some which are a cross of Speckled Sussex and Buff Orp. Some of that breeding's offspring have made some that are Red but not 100%. So I am happy to poke around and see what neat looking birds pop out of these offspring.

Quote:
Awesome....pictures when you get them to 100%....or even now: We can never look at too many pictures of chickens!
thumbsup.gif

Oh, I want Speckled Sussex so much: They are close to the top of my list and then Swedish Sunflower hens...along with Coronation Sussex. All I need is more money, more coops, and another couple acres....mahwooo haaa haaa (insert evil laughter here). So many beautiful types of fowl and so few in my coop.
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Quote:
Awesome....pictures when you get them to 100%....or even now: We can never look at too many pictures of chickens!
thumbsup.gif

Oh, I want Speckled Sussex so much: They are close to the top of my list and then Swedish Sunflower hens...along with Coronation Sussex. All I need is more money, more coops, and another couple acres....mahwooo haaa haaa (insert evil laughter here). So many beautiful types of fowl and so few in my coop.
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Here is one of the better type girls I have from the SS/BO cross. She is sitting down cause she is insecure outside of her grow out cage. We're getting close to putting her and her sis outside for good.
006-23.jpg

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

barnie.gif
hit.gif

Here is one of the better type girls I have from the SS/BO cross. She is sitting down cause she is insecure outside of her grow out cage. We're getting close to putting her and her sis outside for good.
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/lildinkem/006-23.jpg?t=1310692530

What a pretty girl. As to the insecure thing....I have had the coop door open for my youngest birds that are now 14 weeks for nearly a week. Finally, three of them ventured past the door by two feet. I'd rather they be cautious: It'll keep them alive like the "chicken eye on the sky" hawk watch thing they do.

Back
Top Bottom