Most likely prolapsed vent but what is that on the end???*graphic sorry*

Cluky

Songster
Apr 13, 2012
Chicago
Hello sorry, but my favorite hen - d'uccle has a prolapsed vent. I am fairly certain. Just hapened too i checked them morning everything was fine!

BUT what is that weird colored thing on the end? I thought possible no shell egg just stuck to the vent but i don't think so. Tumor? Sorry for ugly pic but i need to know if this is just normal prolapsed vent or looks abnormal. I don't want her to suffer and would rather put her down if tumor :(

Could she have been attacked and vent pecked by the other chickens? That doesn't look like the usual prolapse. Those round things look like they have fluid in them. Below is a little more typical picture of a prolapse. Here is some good information about prolapsed vents:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html
http://beautyofbirds.com/Prolapse.htm

15563_chicken_butt_011.jpg

photo by Whatsup Chickenbutt

Last edited:
I had a year old Easter Egger that looked just like that. I followed all the BYC post instructions, separating her, warm soaks, preparation H and gently manipulating it back into place... all this over a three day period. We kept her in the dark so she would be less likely to lay. She did not have a good outcome. I do not see that as a tumor.

See what others say. I am sorry - it is so sad when they have a need and you can't fix it for them. Cathy

So more info, I checked her again now that all is cleaned up. The end of that thing is kind of hard. Almost like an undeveloped embryo, only i do not have a rooster so can't be that. The stuff around was definitely like egg membrane but parts only. The rest of the prolapse looks healthy and pink. Not pecked though at all. It just looks like her insides have started falling out! Anyone?

Last edited:
So after her being like this for two days, things now getting better and her looking worst and worst I decided to let my little hen go :( If anyone knows what this could have been please let me know. It didn't look like something preventable, but still. Thank you.

I'm so sorry about your little hen. It always seems to happen to the favorite ones. I'm glad that you saw what was happening and her not getting better and 'sent her on her way'. I wish more people were a brave as you.

Thank you, I just couldn't be selfish and keep her suffering knowing she would not recover :( But I still wish someone would respond please. What was happening to her?

Thank you, I just couldn't be selfish and keep her suffering knowing she would not recover :( But I still wish someone would respond please. What was happening to her?
I really don't have an answer to what was wrong except to me it looked like she was pecked. It's hard to look at a picture and see what you were seeing. She may have had a tumor inside or near her vent, and it came out. I really haven't seen pictures of a prolapse like yours, even after searching on Google. Occasionally the cloaca and large intestines come out pretty far, and most people put those chickens down. I think you did the right thing to put her down so that she wouldn't suffer. In the past before backyard flocks, most people culled chickens with prolapse immediately. A lot have success nowadays in treating it if it is discovered right away. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom