Most likely quail chick deaths

pinoyathletics

Chirping
Jun 21, 2018
Granville, Australia
Top Causes of death of quail chicks. And what are the mortality rates like I just hatched out 31 quails?
2 assisted, died as prob weren't meant to hatch. 2 got trampled, 2 got straddle leg and died. Now down to 25 quails after 2 1/2 weeks. What is everyone else chick mortality rate like. And what you all do with your brooder setup to prevent chick survival rates.

What would you rank in what order.

Here are some possibilities

Drowning in waterer, Getting chilled in waterer, getting chilled cause of temperature fluxes, Diseases, trampled, weak chicks, killed by other chics in brooder like pecked to death

Top Causes of death of quail chicks. And what are the mortality rates like I just hatched out 31 quails?
2 assisted, died as prob weren't meant to hatch. 2 got trampled, 2 got straddle leg and died. Now down to 25 quails after 2 1/2 weeks. What is everyone else chick mortality rate like. And what you all do with your brooder setup to prevent chick survival rates.

What would you rank in what order.

Here are some possibilities

Drowning in waterer, Getting chilled in waterer, getting chilled cause of temperature fluxes, Diseases, trampled, weak chicks, killed by other chics in brooder like pecked to death

On a plus note not as bad as my last hatch were i had 1 sole survivor out of 7-8 hatched chicks who was by herself after a week by 3.5 weeks she was ready to go in the quail pen in her own little section. By the time she gets to egg laying age she will be integrated with rest of the flock. I planning when these chicks get to 3.5 weeks, and i have moved the older quail with the rest of flock. To give them a seperate section in the pen around 3.5 weeks then i will divide off the males and females after a few more weeks.

My next hatch i am planning on 150! eggs to set.

I hatched 28 a few weeks ago - my first batch. 4 died, all within 4 days of hatching. I had banded 8 before moving them to the brooder, for different reasons - they appeared weak after hatching, had curled toes, wry neck, assisted hatches and such - and every chick that died was banded, so in my experience - when the brooder is set up properly - 'weak chicks' are the main cause of death. I also don't think a chick is likely to get trampled unless it's weak.
If the brooder isn't warm enough or the area with the correct temperature is too small to hold all chicks, that can kill the majority of a batch in just a few days and things like corners they can get stuck in and water they can get wet by touching is pretty bad as well.
I didn't see any significant pecking among my chicks and as no chick that wasn't weak straight from hatch died, I don't think they suffered any diseases either.

I've never lost any (minus the one I culled for chronic wry neck). I've also hatched in small batches, 9 or 10 at a time.

Denying them the option of getting in their waterer (use pebbles in a shallow dish first few days, then raise a normal chick waterer high enough they can't step into it) rules out most chilling/drowning deaths. I prefer a heat plate to a lamp for warming, as I think it gives them better control and prevents most temperature-related deaths.

Trampling and chick aggression are often caused by over crowding; they need room and ways to get away from each other as they grow (especially since we tend to artificially hatch out birds from clutches larger than a hen would ever lay on her own).

Sometimes chicks are malformed and can't function, but most deaths are preventable.

Yes if you give them a safe and disease-free brooder they are very resilient. I've hatched out a total of more than 200 this year. I've had to cull a few due to leg issues, I had one drop dead for no obvious reason, and I had one with a leg issue that got smothered in a sandbox.

Water, heat, food. Pretty simple. I think some people probably lose chicks because they do things like assist hatches too much, remove chicks from the incubator before they're ready, or let them get chilled when moving them from the incubator to the brooder. Some flocks may have genetic or disease issues, but there is no reason to lose chicks when things are right.

I've only hatched two batches of quail (first coturnix, then buttons) and thankfully I've never dealt with the death of a chick. I had 7 chicks hatch from each batch (my lucky number, perhaps?) so they were both small groups.

I've only had one die out of the 20 I hatched. That's because I let one horrible broody hatch one and her and her mate dragged it out and dust bathed on top of it. I found it barely breathing underneath of them. It died. They smashed it.

Back
Top Bottom