Most marketable breeds?

CMLR

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 25, 2013
I am new to chicken keeping and really enjoying my chicks. I especially love my orpingtons, barred rocks and Easter eggers. I am just curious if there are breeds that tend to sell better or are more popular. I am not planning anything currently, but am just curious. At some point in the future it could be fun to get some breeding stock and sell fertile eggs, chicks, and started birds. I understand that I would need quality stock and to educate myself about the breed. I doubt it would be a huge money maker but may offset the costs of the chicken hobby a bit :)

Last edited:
I think that really depends on your area. For example, I went on Craigslist to see what most people in my area had to offer. I noticed while looking thru ads that alot of people selling Silkies had VERY pet quality birds. So I found a good breeder semi close to me and after weeding thru lots of chicks and hatching quite a few eggs, I ended up with a nice breeding flock. The small amount of chicks and hatching eggs I offer sell like hot cakes! And most people comment that they've wanted Silkies for a while but could only find folks selling hatchery birds. So, check around your area. Lots of people post wanted ads, check what others are selling :)

Thanks for the input and ideas. Those Orpingtons on the Greenfire page are beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom