Most Pretty Poultry Contest!!

Stop it! :gig Are the Goldens pretty easy going personality wise? I would love some pheasants one day - they are just so beautiful. But I like my birds to not be terrified of me.

I've found someone in NZ who sells hatching eggs and has Goldens and Yellows (and Lady Amherst)! Pretty sure we aren't allowed them in suburbia but we are looking at moving to a rural location. Time to start planning the aviaries!
All of those are easy going. Mine are very tame, come up to me when I go in their pen, eat out of my hand, etc...they don't like to be handled tho, only time they get flighty is if a predator comes around or I go into their pen with a shovel, rake, stick.
Their quite most of the time, breeding season they do a lot of calling....which is a screeching sound but other than that, quite peaceful birds.
If you decide to get some let me know, I'll PM you with some pointers to look for in pure bred birds. There's a lot of breeders, if you can call them that (peeps that just happen to have pheasants) that will sell you a crossbred bird and say it's pure.
If you want the true pheasants, that's a different story. They are very flighty, anything and everything scares them. They need different kind of habitational environment. Their beautiful birds as well, here's a few more eye candy! Enjoy!
100_3676 amherst.jpg

Lady Amherst displaying
100_3716=1.jpg

Frontal view
100_4077-1.jpg

Juvenile melanistc
100_4114-1.jpg

Same bird mature
100_4138-1.jpg

Same bird different lighting
100_425201.jpg

Mongolian in low light
100_427391.jpg

Same bird bright light
100_424701.jpg

Same bird different angle

All of those are easy going. Mine are very tame, come up to me when I go in their pen, eat out of my hand, etc...they don't like to be handled tho, only time they get flighty is if a predator comes around or I go into their pen with a shovel, rake, stick.
Their quite most of the time, breeding season they do a lot of calling....which is a screeching sound but other than that, quite peaceful birds.
If you decide to get some let me know, I'll PM you with some pointers to look for in pure bred birds. There's a lot of breeders, if you can call them that (peeps that just happen to have pheasants) that will sell you a crossbred bird and say it's pure.
If you want the true pheasants, that's a different story. They are very flighty, anything and everything scares them. They need different kind of habitational environment. Their beautiful birds as well, here's a few more eye candy! Enjoy!
View attachment 1228831
Lady Amherst displaying
View attachment 1228810
Frontal view
View attachment 1228816
Juvenile melanistc
View attachment 1228819
Same bird mature
View attachment 1228820
View attachment 1228822
Mongolian in low light
View attachment 1228823
Same bird bright light
View attachment 1228826

Wow! So beautiful! I'll definitely be seeking you out for some pointers. It would be amazing if I could hand feed them - that's more than enough for me.

We can also get Ringnecks, Reeves, Swinhoe, Silvers and very occasionally I've seen the Himalayan Monal pheasants for sale (for a very pretty penny) - those birds are divine. I've seen one in person at a netted in garden which you can pay to have a tour of - he was the welcoming committee, standing on the wooden walkway at the entrance, just waiting to be admired. :love

Wow! So beautiful! I'll definitely be seeking you out for some pointers. It would be amazing if I could hand feed them - that's more than enough for me.

We can also get Ringnecks, Reeves, Swinhoe, Silvers and very occasionally I've seen the Himalayan Monal pheasants for sale (for a very pretty penny) - those birds are divine. I've seen one in person at a netted in garden which you can pay to have a tour of - he was the welcoming committee, standing on the wooden walkway at the entrance, just waiting to be admired. :love
In the past I raised all those too! Still raise
Reeves and Ring-necked pheasants...that really makes me laugh sometimes because peeps will look at my true pheasants and say: "Sure have a lot of ringnecks!":gigyeah, right! Most people don't know the difference and there's only a handful of us in the States that have most of the species of true pheasants. Anyway, hope you can get some, very relaxing just watching their behavior.

View attachment 1228831
Lady Amherst displaying
View attachment 1228810
Frontal view
View attachment 1228816
Juvenile melanistc
View attachment 1228819
Same bird mature
View attachment 1228820
View attachment 1228822
Mongolian in low light
View attachment 1228823
Same bird bright light
View attachment 1228826
Incredibly beautiful. :love
Unfortunately I do not have the facilities to keep a biosecure area for them or I would be ever so tempted.

Thanks BC, I feel your pain. There was a short period of time when I couldn't raise them either.:hit
I could keep them if I stuck the pen in the woods a ways... but that would be a fantastic recipe for a happy bear and no birdies. :oops: Yeah, not going there. The forest drops off to miles of nothing right after my house.

Thanks Guys. Just catching up. Our internet was out during a 3 day Noreaster up here. We also lost a our precious Jersey Milk cow, Emily, to bloat just before the storm hit. But were right as rain now.
Sorry to hear that, glad you made it through that nasty storm.

Back
Top Bottom