Mother cat abandoned four kittens in our attic... does anyone here have any advice?

One of them pooped. It was very hard. Wish I knew who did it so I could focus on stimulating the other three.

Turns out, one major problem was that the hole we put in the nipple was too small and she was frustrated that something was being shoved at her but gave her nothing. 😅 She drank about 5ml. The others drank some but I'm not sure how much per kitten. Is 15 ML per kitten per feeding what I'm aiming for?

Two days maximum. I didn't hear any insistent screaming until Monday night, so I think the mother may have fed them Monday morning before the storm.

I watched this video and it looks like these might be older than three weeks. The canine teeth are definitely in. One of them tried to eat my finger and they are very sharp. I'm going to weigh them in a bit, I think they might be small because they are malnourished or something.

Do you mind posting a photo of the kittens we might be able to help figure out the age.
If they are 4-5 weeks you can try giving them a little canned kitten food mixed with formula.
This is the one that the rescue I foster for recommends for us fosters to use.
image.jpg

They need canned kitten food, and can lap up water, kitten formula, and with help, canned food. Stimulate them to pee and poo after every meal, and keep cleaning them up as they toddle through the dish of food, so their skin doesn't get infected.
Contact your veterinarian about finding a good rescue group, or if a staffer will be willing to take them on.
Kittens are beyond cute!
They need each other until they are about eight weeks old; solitary kittens won't develop good social skills.
Mary

Do you mind posting a photo of the kittens we might be able to help figure out the age.
If they are 4-5 weeks you can try giving them a little canned kitten food mixed with formula.
This is the one that the rescue I foster for recommends for us fosters to use. View attachment 2880316
Sure, I can get some photos. :) We're just about to have bathtime. Feeding time earlier wore them out, so I was letting them rest a little.

Oh yes, that's good stuff. Jackie, my rescue from 2018, ate that as a kitten. The store didn't have any, so I'm going to order some online.

They need canned kitten food, and can lap up water, kitten formula, and with help, canned food.
All but one is interested. I'm getting concerned about the black one. Hoping the vet can tell me what's up with this poor thing.

Stimulate them to pee and poo after every meal, and keep cleaning them up as they toddle through the dish of food, so their skin doesn't get infected.
They definitely need to be cleaned after every meal. The kittens made that clear. They are such messy little eaters! 🤪 😆

Contact your veterinarian about finding a good rescue group, or if a staffer will be willing to take them on.
Will do, but I don't expect anyone to take them. I'll probably have to foster them myself.

Kittens are beyond cute!
❤️

They need each other until they are about eight weeks old; solitary kittens won't develop good social skills.
Boy did I find this out the hard way with my cat. Jackie was alone and abandoned, but was at least 5 weeks when I found her. Weaning was no problem, but she had food aggression. No good social skills with other cats or some people...

How about videos? (Hoping I did this right, never have uploaded to YouTube before.) First video, when I realized the mother didn't return yesterday. Second video, after they had some kitten milk and had a nap. You can tell the energy level increased, and it looks to me like they feel better. 🤩

It must be something in the air... my oldest son found a sopping wet kitten outside the barn screaming when he was doing chores. It ran over to him, it's the same size as the ones you found... He's been feeding and cuddling it all night. We settled it in a box in the bathroom, with an old towel, a heating pad, a stuffed toy and a mirror.
He just went out again to check again, if there were any more. He found it's sibling dead, and he couldn't find anymore.
None of the barn cats wanted it, they hissed at it or ignored it. :(

How about videos? (Hoping I did this right, never have uploaded to YouTube before.) First video, when I realized the mother didn't return yesterday. Second video, after they had some kitten milk and had a nap. You can tell the energy level increased, and it looks to me like they feel better. 🤩

So cute! They look about 4 to maybe 5 weeks at the oldest. Definitely old enough to offer canned food mixed with formula and I would also give them a shallow litter pan with non clumping litter in it. They may not be quite ready to use it yet but they will be soon. It’s important to make sure it’s non clumping though since it can be dangerous if they accidentally eat the clumping kind.

It must be something in the air... my oldest son found a sopping wet kitten outside the barn screaming when he was doing chores. It ran over to him, it's the same size as the ones you found... He's been feeding and cuddling it all night. We settled it in a box in the bathroom, with an old towel, a heating pad, a stuffed toy and a mirror.
He just went out again to check again, if there were any more. He found it's sibling dead, and he couldn't find anymore.
None of the barn cats wanted it, they hissed at it or ignored it. :(
Im glad you guys managed to save at least one. Unfortunately people around here like to dump animals anywhere they see a barn or shed. We’ve ended up with several animals because of this.

Im glad you guys managed to save at least one. Unfortunately people around here like to dump animals anywhere they see a barn or shed. We’ve ended up with several animals because of this.
We have barn cats, we inherited all of our cats because they were here and we can't afford to fix them all. Also people have dumped them here. :( I really wish scientists would come up with a sterilization shot for cats and that it would be more affordable.
Unfortunately its not a priority.

Back
Top Bottom