Mother goose for gosling

Biddieacres

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
We have some new gosling who are terrified. I do know of a mother goose, same breed, very large and seems very calm and sweet. Do you think it would be a good idea to purchase her and put her in with them? Do you think she will help them to calm down or add to their anxiety????

They are so terrified they are throwing themselves agains the poultry wire when I go in to give them food or water and one just got its top beak stuck in the wire from trying to get through it to get away from me. This is why I thought of the mother goose for them.

Thanks!

It would probably work great . . . with a short while of adjustment.

The goslings (BTW, bless you for rescuing them!!!) might be just as afraid of the goose as they are you. Maybe, but probably not for long.

Also, getting the mama goose, SHE'LL be stressed from the move, and need a little time to adjust and get down to mothering the babies.

In your shoes, your plan is exactly what I would do. I'd just throw them all in together and hope that a little time and familiarity will cause the geese to act like geese with each other
smile.png

Sad that those poor goslings are so terrified. I think that will definitely calm down with a little time too, no matter what you do.

I had a terrified older kitten (3 months) who hid in the nooks and crannies of my loft once I brought her home. So, I "starved" her. I took away her food dishes and came in, a couple of hours later, with a plate of canned tuna. It took about a day before she realized *I* meant food, and she relaxed enough to eat next to me. The rest followed, and she was shy around others and tame around me.

I wonder if that would work with goslings, who are ALWAYS hungry. You bring food and water, and sit at an decent distance quietly while they eat. They'll realize you mean something very different than thier imminent death LOL.

Just thinking out loud
smile.png
Good luck, keep us posted!!

Quote:
That's a great idea, geese are very food driven and the quickest way to their hearts is their stomachs. Or maybe not withold regular food but bring in special treats so you come to mean treat time.

The adult goose may not want to have
anything to do with the goslings.
She might even pick on them.
If she did that then what?
I'd think twice about that one.
Just walk very slow around the goslings.
Just set the feed inside the gate so you don't have to walk into their pen.
I'd just give them some time.
You just got them.
In time they will realize you aren't going to hurt them.

Can you get more than the one goose? Geese are flock birds and do so much better in pairs. The one goose will be more alarmed at being alone and moved.

I would put the goose and goslings where they can see each other until they all calm down. A goose has big feet and can do a lot of damage to babies not intending to if upset. Once they all calm, she should do a great job of mothering them.

Also watch your movements. I have noticed with mine that if I am carrying something like a feed bag they will freak out. This is my tame, run to me goslings and geese. I sometimes forget and they let me know that they do not like fluttery things. Move slow and keep whatever you are carrying close to you will help to keep them from spooking. If you use a bucket to carry feed, they will quickly learn that the bucket means food and will come to it.

Yes Vickie, I have been thinking about this and think I better not get in over my head. I will just let things be and we can all relax hopefully in time. Thanks for you support. What would I do without you guys!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom