"Mother Goose" What breed comes to mind

And for you, the further south you go the warmer it gets...for us, the further NORTH we go the warmer it gets.......took a bit of getting used to...I still get lost with which month/season we´re in....almost summer and it´s November....
cool.png
all topsy-turvy here.
lol.png

As for me squashing my ganders.....I think I´ll pass. As for me trying to fly off on a gander, I´d probably fall off in the marsh!!! Hah! Try it on Sam.....I reckon he´d never try to pinch you again!!!!
lau.gif

And for you, the further south you go the warmer it gets...for us, the further NORTH we go the warmer it gets.......took a bit of getting used to...I still get lost with which month/season we´re in....almost summer and it´s November....
cool.png
all topsy-turvy here.
lol.png

As for me squashing my ganders.....I think I´ll pass. As for me trying to fly off on a gander, I´d probably fall off in the marsh!!! Hah! Try it on Sam.....I reckon he´d never try to pinch you again!!!!
lau.gif
LOL,I have straddled him before he is a pretty strong dude. But I have never seen him even attempt to fly, Him and Missy play flying up and down the drive way when I let them out. Now Missy I believe can get off the ground I saw her, so I clipped one wing since we live so close to a mt. river right below the house full of all kinds of hungry preds between us and it.

Well, OK, but like you tell others.......PICS!!!!! Would like to see THAT!
big_smile.png

The older gosling, 3 months now, I think, ran down the flapping her wings...and OH!! Frightened herself!!! The others were running on behind honking in the excitement! Funny..
I'll try to see if hubby will do a photo shoot.
wink.png

They do look funny when all the flapping starts, I clip my Scovy's wings because of the same river and they are hilarious when they start running flapping even running they are off balance. I had one of my older Scovy girls fly down to the river once, she is solid white [sticks out like a sore thumb] I had to leave her over night, but next day the big drake that was living down there at the time[he now lives here and has for 9 yrs,] brought her home. I'm sure she glowed in the dark.

I'll try to see if hubby will do a photo shoot.
wink.png

They do look funny when all the flapping starts, I clip my Scovy's wings because of the same river and they are hilarious when they start running flapping even running they are off balance. I had one of my older Scovy girls fly down to the river once, she is solid white [sticks out like a sore thumb] I had to leave her over night, but next day the big drake that was living down there at the time[he now lives here and has for 9 yrs,] brought her home. I'm sure she glowed in the dark.
I like to see the ducks and the geese doing the crazy flapping and diving thing, and I love to watch the ducks fly, they´re beautiful. There´s a large bamboo in our neighbour´s field, and the ducks like to fly around it, then over the field of another neighbour, then back home. When the young females first take off, they seem surprised that they´re just about to go out of their home-range and do a kind of emergency stop in mid-air, then PLOMP into the pond. And the young males are huge when they fly... Remember the funny comment about the goslings that you made? Well, it really is "duck" when the ducks are flying...they swoop in right over my head! And they DO glow in the dark, don´t they? On a clear night with a full moon, it´s almost like daylight out there, and I can see all the white birds really easily down by the stream.

Before we brought the one drake home to live here, there were 3 Muscovy drakes that lived in the river, One killed the other,[Honest we saw it happening from our driveway and because of the steep banks and brambles could do nothing about it,
sad.png
That's when we decided to bring home the other drake, he had been coming up and visiting the 3 ladies we had here and they loved him so we opened our arms to him also. but anyway, They use to fly along the river and wow what a sight, of course that's before Ernie got 3 square meals a day and put on some weight. lol

Okay you asked for it,

He wouldn't stand up tall

Yes!! Love it!! But you forgot the little pointy hat!!!
lau.gif

That was a bit mean, killing the other....was it a big male and 2 youngsters, maybe? My 2 young males go into the neighbour´s to mooch about in the mud, and the big male comes near-ish, but keeps away...I think he feels out-numbered. But then, he´s very sweet-tempered...I bred him!!!
lol.png

I needed a pointy hat, looks like I am going bald. lol honest I'm not. As far as I know they were all same age or close, they use to come up to the house and the 3 girls chose Ernie as their main man and the other 2 drakes would have to ambush the girls and this one that did the killing seemed to go crazy. He actually tried to run down Ernie one evening when Ernie was heading back down to the river, So I walked behind Ernie back up to the house and next day my dh took care of this berserk drake before he killed again, My first experience with ducks and Muscovy's, I have 4 drakes including Ernie who has to have a yard by himself with his girls because he is to feeble to be with the other 3 younger drakes. The 2 other drakes got into some clashes last summer but they never fought to where the one or the other was seriously injured mostly Sumo wrestling lol the 4th drake is just 5 months old so his turn will be next year.
roll.png
Sounds like a soap opera doesn't it.

Sounds like you´re the referee!!
I think you like muscovies like I like geese.....
I had one really sweet drake, so good with everything....I gave him to my neighbour for breeding as I was getting so many ducklings (my fault, I knew where all the nests were, but the ducklings are just SO gorgeous!), and I decided just to keep the females.

But these male younsters are pied with blue eyes, very pretty........so I thought ok, I´ll just have to keep these and collect the eggs.....the 2 are brothers, so I hope they´ll keep up their "buddy" thing...if not, the neighbour has a pan on the boil.......
sad.png
I´m actually still in two minds, but I just love the little ducklings, so cute...and if the females want to mate, they only have to go next door to find a willing drake....which one already has done!
roll.png

Good, it´s stopped raining, I´m off out to check on the birds before nightfall....

Back
Top Bottom