Mother hen abandond eggs that are chirping (4 hatched and 7 eggs haven't pip yet)

ERICKA1546

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Hello! We have 4 new chicks and eggs still left but mother hen doesn't want anything to to with the rest of the eggs. I did the water test and they are rocking and rollin and i even heard loud chirps coming from them. there were no pips hence the reason i did the water test. what should i do. we live in the CA valley so its very warm here usually in the 100's. should i just let nature do its thing or intervene? Thank You =)

First off, I am very new to chickens. But, if I were dealing with this problem, I would take the 7 eggs and put them in a brooder box with heat lamp and thermometer, just keep them around 95 or so, and keep damp towels under them for humidity. A heating pad just under the damp towels might also help with the temperature if its not warm enough. Sounds like the other 4 were just early birds!

Thank you for the info and getting back to me asap. Mother hen is back on the eggs now that the sun is going down hopefully she stays there! =) if she does the something tomorrow and stays off the eggs during the day i may do what you mentioned =)

I have the same scenario here in Texas - 4 eggs within days of hatching but mother has 2 chicks and won't sit on the eggs. A friend more experienced than mine says just leave them in a safe place ( horse feed bucket) with some hay to hold in the days heat, or maybe a light and let nature take its course. Mine aren't chirping yet, but in the water test they wiggle so my fingers are crossed for both of us!:fl

Back
Top Bottom