Mother hen attacked hatching chick

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
All was going smoothly with hatching until my broody hen decided to attack one of the chicks hatching, she managed to get everything a little bloody and pull its leg out of the shell (there’s only one other egg under her that hasn’t pipped yet) that was a few hours ago, and since then have brought it inside on a heat pad keeping everything from drying out with moist paper towels, the chick has managed to break free a bit more since then. I’m hoping for the best but am definitely stressed. I’m wondering if there’s any more I can do, or if I’m even doing this correctly? The chick has been opening eyes and yawning

A069223F-9128-457D-BCCB-FA7B5368A214.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm afraid this does not look very good. I think I can see yolk material on the top left of the egg in your photo which means that the chick is not ready to hatch. The yawning you described is what chicks do while still absorbing the yolk. However, with that much of the chick exposed, it might be able to kick out of the shell before everything is absorbed and the blood vessels have shrunk back. Hatching chicks usually break the round end of the egg off like a lid and then wriggle out, rather than come out of the side as your chick could.

The best chance for your chick is if you can prevent it escaping the egg before the yolk is fully absorbed. Can you place the egg (exposed side up)in some kind of small shallow container, maybe with some tissue around the edge to gently wedge it in a bit so it can't move? For example a small cup? Then return it to the heat.

I'm afraid this does not look very good. I think I can see yolk material on the top left of the egg in your photo which means that the chick is not ready to hatch. The yawning you described is what chicks do while still absorbing the yolk. However, with that much of the chick exposed, it might be able to kick out of the shell before everything is absorbed and the blood vessels have shrunk back. Hatching chicks usually break the round end of the egg off like a lid and then wriggle out, rather than come out of the side as your chick could.

The best chance for your chick is if you can prevent it escaping the egg before the yolk is fully absorbed. Can you place the egg (exposed side up)in some kind of small shallow container, maybe with some tissue around the edge to gently wedge it in a bit so it can't move? For example a small cup? Then return it to the heat.

Okay I went and did that, thank you! Any idea on how long it could take to fully absorb?

Much as I dislike writing this I would kill that chick. Even if it does survive, the chances of it having health problems associated with it's unfortunate hatch are high.:hugs

Much as I dislike writing this I would kill that chick. Even if it does survive, the chances of it having health problems associated with it's unfortunate hatch are high.:hugs

If it comes to that and does end up with issues that lower its quality of life/causes suffering I will have no problem doing so, but I’d like to at least try giving it a chance first :(

I would give it a chance too. I think the most likely issues are ruptured yolk or infection at this point. If it survives, it will likely be weak and you can boost it with sugar water or electrolytes once it is out of the shell.

The chick looks to have possibly pipped both internally and externally at the same time, which means it is really only at the internal Pip stage. It can take anywhere up to 24 hours after that, but I would guess your egg is at least 6 hours away from being ready.
:fl

I would give it a chance too. I think the most likely issues are ruptured yolk or infection at this point. If it survives, it will likely be weak and you can boost it with sugar water or electrolytes once it is out of the shell.

The chick looks to have possibly pipped both internally and externally at the same time, which means it is really only at the internal Pip stage. It can take anywhere up to 24 hours after that, but I would guess your egg is at least 6 hours away from being ready.
:fl

Alrighty, thank you so much! I will keep things updated!

All was going smoothly with hatching until my broody hen decided to attack one of the chicks hatching, she managed to get everything a little bloody and pull its leg out of the shell (there’s only one other egg under her that hasn’t pipped yet)

Any idea why the broody hen treated this egg differently? Just curious. Was thinking if the other eggs had already hatched, she was not going to wait around for the remaining eggs to hatch as her attention has turned to caring for the chicks already out of the shell.

Any idea why the broody hen treated this egg differently? Just curious. Was thinking if the other eggs had already hatched, she was not going to wait around for the remaining eggs to hatch as her attention has turned to caring for the chicks already out of the shell.

I have no idea, this is the first one to hatch. If the chick survives and once eventually is fluffed out and alert I will try reintroducing and see how things go

Back
Top Bottom