Mother hen being very mean to babies she hatched but were not from her eggs

That is interesting too. I have had hens that accept any baby I shove under them, they just want to be mothers so bad. Gracie must be one. This is her first brood as it is the first for the two mean hens. I think all are happier with the new situation.

The psychology of chickens is very thinly explored territory. Each has their own temperament. Broodies are not all equal as far as aptitude and skill. The good ones are keepers, worth their weight in gold. The not-so-good ones, make a note in their personnel records so you know to break them next time instead of giving them the job of incubating and raising chicks.

The psychology of chickens is very thinly explored territory. Each has their own temperament. Broodies are not all equal as far as aptitude and skill. The good ones are keepers, worth their weight in gold. The not-so-good ones, make a note in their personnel records so you know to break them next time instead of giving them the job of incubating and raising chicks.

And hens who are good broodies generally produce daughters that are good broodies; therefore, it is generally good husbandry to set their eggs.

And hens who are good broodies generally produce daughters that are good broodies; therefore, it is generally good husbandry to set their eggs.
Excellent point! I have my star broody hen scheduled to go broody in two weeks. I may actually give her a few of her own eggs to sit on this time. It will be her nineteenth time going broody. I can't believe she's still laying regularly at age seven. It could be her final season.

Excellent point! I have my star broody hen scheduled to go broody in two weeks. I may actually give her a few of her own eggs to sit on this time. It will be her nineteenth time going broody. I can't believe she's still laying regularly at age seven. It could be her final season.

@azygous What breed of chicken is your star broody?

Back
Top Bottom