Mother hen or not???

mjolrdanlmj

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Pasadena,Texas
My Coop
My Coop
I have a banty hen that is sitting on non fertile eggs and I just picked up some baby chicks from the feed store and have them in a brooder in the kitchen. My question is can I move the banty from her hiding spot in the garage to the brooder in the house and will she accept the babies ? It has been 3 weeks now since we couldn't find her and just found her hiding spot in the garage, worried that she will want to keep going back in the garage if I move her to the outside coop.Maybe I should just keep them seperate and raise them on my own. Any thoughts?

You would do better to slip the chicks under her at night after taking her eggs to get her to accept them than taking her and putting her in a brooder full of chicks. After she accepts them you could bring them back in if you wish.

How old are they? If they look older than 2 or 3 days old there's a good chance their imprinting window has closed and even though she might take to them they wouldn't take to her if that was the case.

Well we decided to just keep them separate for now and raise them ourselves. Hoping that they won't be so skiddish of humans like some we have h raised with the other hens. Taking the eggs out from the sitting hen and forcing her to go back to the yard.

Back
Top Bottom