Mother hen pacing back and forth?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KikiDeAnime, Jul 21, 2019.

1. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    I got 4 baby chicks yesterday and our Olive Egger accepted them last night. She even pecked the heck out of my hand and wrist to keep me from checking on them an hour after I stuck them under her.
    When I got up today to go feed them outside I noticed that instead of showing the chicks where the food was, she was pacing back and forth ignoring the chicks.

Why is she doing this?
    Should I take the baby chicks from her?

The baby chicks keep trying to get underneath her for warmth, not understanding what's going on.

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Possibly she hasn't excepted them..Sounds like she wants out of that pen? Try feeding and watering her to see if she begins to mother them? Even toss a few treats to see if she clucks to encourage the Chicks to eat with her?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    She may have rejected them...hopefully she gets with the program soon.
    How long was she broody before you added the chicks?

4. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    Late Update:
    Yesterday afternoon she finally showed them where the water is. It got up to 88F so I wasn't too worried about them not eating but more concerned with them drinking lots of water. Today they're following her and eating whatever she shows them. It's currently 82F so I've been checking on them every 15 minutes to make sure they're drinking plenty of water.

aart likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Did she take them to the nest last night?

6. KikiDeAnime

KikiDeAnime Songster

Dec 29, 2017
    Battle Ground, WA
    I had to. She kept clucking to them to follow but it was a little too dark for them to see so I grabbed them and put them underneath her. I may lock them up early tonight until they understand to follow her when it's bedtime.

aart likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: