Motley crue hatched!

ralphiegator

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 6, 2008
Ocala, FL
We have a white American Game foul (I THINK) who started sitting on 15 eggs. She is small, so I gave 6 of her eggs to another sitting hen, whos eggs never hatched. She deserted the nest, so I brought the eggs home, and put them in an incubator. I really didnt think they'd hatch, but they did, one day before the eggs the hen was sitting on. I'm new to chickens, so this is our first hatching. Of Momma's 9 eggs, 1 exploded, and the other 8 hatched, but due to the cold snap we had, 7 died during the night. We brought the lone survivor and Momma to our house. (They live out at our farm property, and were free-range chickens. I set up a tent in the garage, put Momma and baby in a cage with the nest, and hung two drop lights. They stayed nice and warm. So the next day, I intruduced to Momma the other 6 chicks. She made a cooing noise, and the 6 babies instantly went up to her, and under-neath her. How precious! When they came back out she showed them how to peck at the food and water. All 7 babies are doing great in the tent. We will move them back out to the farm when it warms up enough. We have built them a house and an enclosed covered run. We lost about 20 of the other free-range chickens over the past few cold nights due to Coyotes. Here's some pics of the chicks at 6 days. There were various hens using the nest, and they could be from one of 4 roos. "Momma" is soo sweet, and actually now lets me pet her, and eats out of my hand, she wouldnt come near us before. She doesn't mind us picking up the chicks, but watches closely.
18142_chicks1-23-09_008.jpg

Thanks, chickies are staying warm. It's about 80 inside the tent, and they go under momma to sleep. They are doing very well, and are soo much fun! I keep hearing that hens get mean when they have chicks, but this one turned sweet. Maybe she's thankful we saved her from the coyotes, and owls, and cold nights at the farm?
18142_chicks1-23-09_012.jpg

It's nice to have a hen like that isn't it.

I had a silkie that hatched eggs in the house last January. When the eggs in the bator started to hatch I just let the chicks dry out and put them in with her small flock.

At one time she had a couple dozen chicks in with her. She guarded them all as if they were her own...lol. The thing I learned was all the chicks from the moment they were put in the brooder box gravitated right for the silkie to tuck in under and around her.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Julie
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom