Mottled Houdan Egg Laying Behavior

JFreeman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 23, 2012
Texarkana, Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
I have a 10 month old Mottled Houdan that has layed one egg in the last month. Right before she layed her egg, she became lethargic, moving every once in a while and standing in one place. She doesn't roost as high as she normally does, choosing instead to sleep with a silkie. She did this for two days before she layed her egg, and it seemed large compared to the Polish. I don't know how big Mottled Houdan eggs normally are, but I figured they should be about the same size as the Polish since they are about the same size. She is doing the same thing again, becoming lethargic, not really eating, she does get plenty of water, so I'm assuming she is getting ready to lay another egg. Does any one else have an experience like this? I don't know what to do for her. She was a runt, so I don't know if that has something to do with it.

J,

There is a Houdan thread. It hasn't been very active in a while but many of the members are syill active. You might try PM them.

My Houdan girl doesn't do this. She had ben a very inconsitant layer however. Her eggs are on a medium to maybe large size. Not huge.

Your girl may just have some "plumbing issues".

Maybe someone has experienced this with another breed.

Good luck.

To give you an idea of the egg size, here is a picture of her last egg. The top left is hers. The darkest egg is from my Maran and the two white on the far right are from my two Polish. I'm no expert, but I don't think this is normal. I'm hoping this is not going to happen all the time.. She's not herself, and I know she's miserable. She's my baby, always comes to me when I call her (except when she's like this), always happy to get a petting.

You are corrct. Her egg should be snow white and smaller. I wish I knew what to tell you. I have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it. You might repost on the emergency forum and just say "hen having difficulty laying". The Houdan part might thow some folks off as Houdans are so rare.

I'll say a prqyer for your girl. They are a special bird.

I didn't get to my little girl fast enough. She passed away during the night, and I'm upset I couldn't help her. Thank you for your help. Maybe I can help the next one if it happens again.

Back
Top Bottom