mottled leghorns

I was wondering the same thing. What should red mottled look like? I was thinking more red with white spots(or vise versa). I was not thinking it would have the black of the mille fleur.

Quote:
Tim is talking about the brown mottled ones. Go here and scroll down the page to see pics:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGK/Leghorns/BRKLeghorns.html

OH! Sorry about that. I guess when I see mottled I automatically think the black and white chickens
tongue.png
The brown mottles are pretty too!

Technically as far as the standard goes, anconas basically meet the leghorn standard, the main difference is color and maybe a couple things with the body. I have also wanted the mottled brown leghorns here in the US. I had a silver phoenix rooster that had mottling on his breast and threw white breasted chicks which I wish I would have gone further with that color mutation.

Mille fleur are columbian restricted and the red or brown mottled are not columbian restricted.

Mille fleur = Co/Co, ewh/ewh, mo/mo mille fleur can also be produced on wild type or eb (brown)

red mottled is co+/co+, e+/e+ amd mo/mo. Basically a gold duckwing that is mottled.

I prefer the ancona over the exchequer because of the precise mottled pattern on the ancona. Exchequers look like a bunch of spilled black and white paint.

There have to be modifiers or a modifier in the ancona that makes the different feather pattern.

I would like to do some experimental crossing with the mottling gene but do not have the room.

Tim

Technically as far as the standard goes, anconas basically meet the leghorn standard, the main difference is color and maybe a couple things with the body. I have also wanted the mottled brown leghorns here in the US. I had a silver phoenix rooster that had mottling on his breast and threw white breasted chicks which I wish I would have gone further with that color mutation.

If the females had clean white breasts with heavy black stippling on the rest of the bird it was a silver ginger. Males should be black tailed white.

Tim

Can somebody inform me about the results of pairing white leghorn cock - red mottled leghorn hen? Can I take red mottled cock with this pairing?
Thanks in advance...

Thomas

Can somebody inform me about the results of pairing white leghorn cock - red mottled leghorn hen? Can I take red mottled cock with this pairing?
Thanks in advance...

Thomas
the mating of a pure white leghorn rooster with a Red Mottled leghorn(columbian restricted mottled) hen will produce all white chicks(some may show some black spots) and mostly all white birds as adults. and no you will not produce more red mottled birds.. mottled is an autosomal(none sexlinked) recessive gene that needs two copies to fully express and the red tone on the red mottled hen means she is recessive sex linked gold and the white leghorns are Dominant sexlinked Silver. making the Hens silver and the males golden(mix of silver and gold S/s+).. but all of them will look white due to the autosomal dominant white gene(I) and the Extended Black gene(E, they could also be ER birchen)

Back
Top Bottom