Mottled Silkie with Blue/Green eggs Project.

Chicks are 6 weeks now. 8 boys and 2 girls
Only 1 of the girl chicks is the right black colour. Do I use the other girl as well, she is a grey laced colour. I know there is only a 1/4 chance my black girl does carries the mottled gene. Not sure what to do?

Hey exciting news, I finally got 2 black aracauna hens to use in my project. Their 4 months old right now. Can't wait to see what colour eggs they will lay. Was told they will lay anything from blue to a dark green. Also can't wait to breed them with my F1 boy.

Hey exciting news, I finally got 2 black aracauna hens to use in my project. Their 4 months old right now. Can't wait to see what colour eggs they will lay. Was told they will lay anything from blue to a dark green. Also can't wait to breed them with my F1 boy.

Good to here from you! I love that you keep updating.
At this point if you add in the Aracauna hens to the mix you are going to be eliminating most if not all of the Silkie features. The recessive ones that you know your F1 boy is going to pass on such as feather type and mottling are going to be all but lost. You will have no way of knowing who carries what without test breeding back to both Silkies and a mottled bird. If you would like to go ahead and cross the two, go for it! Just know that if your end goal still remains to have Mottled Silkies that lay blue and green eggs, this would not be the best step.
Wishing you the best! Keep updating!

I'm breeding in the Aracauna now because I want to save time later. if I do it now, than I will only have to do the selective breeding process years once. Instead of breeding them to almost perfect than crossing in the araucana and having to start the whole selective breeding process a second time.

Last edited:
I'm breeding in the Aracauna now because I want to save time later. if I do it now, than I will only have to do the selective breeding process years once. Instead of breeding them to almost perfect than crossing in the araucana and having to start the whole selective breeding process a second time.
Looking forward to it! You are definitely dedicated!!

If you, or anyone else, is interested in following my own Mottled Silkie project (without blue eggs), the link is below! Tons of photos and potential F1 chicks are hatching now.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ially-in-motion-photos.1406149/#post-23086058

Some good news and some bad news.
My second batch for my F2 gen is hatching and so far i have one penguin colored chick😊. And the new mottled pekin hen i bought in nov/dec last year has finally started laying eggs.
The bad news, my only f1 gen rooster passed away today. 😢
I'm happy and yet I feel like I'm going to cry at the same time. One step forward two steps back. Will collect the mottle hen eggs for the next few weeks then try to get her to sit on them. They will be 3/4 mottled pekin and only 1/4 silkie. This is not ideal but most of these chicks should be mottled so I will breed these to my 3/4 silkie / 1/4 mottled pekin chickens and pure my araucana hens. Not what I was ordinally planning but you have to roll with the punches. I will then in the f4 gen start breeding pure Black silkies back into the line again.

Update
One of my f2 roosters is finally breeding age and I've put him in with my mottled pekin hen and will soon start doing some test batches, to see if he carries the mottling gene.
The second batch that I hatched out from the f1 rooster is now over 10 weeks old and I have 6 girls and 6 boys. Soon as the girls start laying I will start testing the different roosters in with them to test for the mottling gene.
The aracauna that I bought a few months ago have turned out to be crosses that lay white eggs. I got conned by a lady on face book, that was an expensive lesson I payed full price for them. I managed to find some pure breeds that are laying blue eggs. One is 2 years and one is 6 months and soon to lay. The 2 year old has been laying me some beautiful bright blue eggs over the last few days since I bought them. Cant wait from them to come out of quarantine so I can start breeding with them with my project boys.

Update
One of my f2 roosters is finally breeding age and I've put him in with my mottled pekin hen and will soon start doing some test batches, to see if he carries the mottling gene.
The second batch that I hatched out from the f1 rooster is now over 10 weeks old and I have 6 girls and 6 boys. Soon as the girls start laying I will start testing the different roosters in with them to test for the mottling gene.
The aracauna that I bought a few months ago have turned out to be crosses that lay white eggs. I got conned by a lady on face book, that was an expensive lesson I payed full price for them. I managed to find some pure breeds that are laying blue eggs. One is 2 years and one is 6 months and soon to lay. The 2 year old has been laying me some beautiful bright blue eggs over the last few days since I bought them. Cant wait from them to come out of quarantine so I can start breeding with them with my project boys.

That is such a bummer about the Aracauna hens! Sorry to hear about that.
Quick question, your F2 Gen chicks from your F1 boy, who is their mother? I may have missed it.
What is your next step with the F2 boy if he is a mottled carrier?

Back
Top Bottom