Mottled Silkie with Blue/Green eggs Project.

Need advice
Soon after my first batch of chicks hatched my mottled hen passed away. So I bought some replacement hens but none of the hens seem to be laying eggs right now. So my project is at a stand still. I have thought an option to do until my new pekins start laying.
Put my black F1 male in with a black silkie hen. 50% of the offspring will be carriers and 50% will be non carriers. Then allow the offspring to breed together. I should then finally get some mottled silkie chicks.
But it will means I will have to wait 2 more generations to get a mottled Silkie.
Or should I just wait until my new mottled hens start laying.

Update
Heres my only surviving rooster. Pics don't do him justice.
Need advice
Soon after my first batch of chicks hatched my mottled hen passed away. So I bought some replacement hens but none of the hens seem to be laying eggs right now. So my project is at a stand still. I have thought an option to do until my new pekins start laying.
Put my black F1 male in with a black silkie hen. 50% of the offspring will be carriers and 50% will be non carriers. Then allow the offspring to breed together. I should then finally get some mottled silkie chicks.
But it will means I will have to wait 2 more generations to get a mottled Silkie.
Or should I just wait until my new mottled hens start laying.

He is a pretty boy! And he is the right color too.

That's a bummer about the hen! What I would do personally is cross back to a silkie. Crossing out to a mottled again so early would likely eliminate all Silkie characteristics that are recessive and even many that aren't. Of the Silkie cross chicks, you will need to start weeding them out. Hatch out a lot and keep all the ones with Silkie feathering. If you are really able to hatch out and keep a lot, further cull all the birds that have 4 toes, a non walnut comb, leakage, etc. From there, cross the very best Silkie types rooster to the mottled hens that you have which will be old enough by then. You'll want to keep multiple roosters because only 50% of them will be mottled gene carriers. With luck, 50% or so of the Silkie cross chicks crossed with your new mottled hens will be mottled!
Sorry if that's confusing!! And of course you can do what you like but that's what I would do personally!

I just have a thought. What if I breed my F1 boy to my black Silkie girl. Then breed his daughters f2's back to him, they will be 3/4 silkie. Since he carry's both the silkie and mottled genes and half his daughters will carry the mottled gene as well as some being silkie feathered. I should get some mottled silkie chicks. The resulting chicks should be over 90% silkie, I think? A little help?.

Last edited:
I just have a thought. What if I breed my F1 boy to my black Silkie girl. Then breed his daughters f2's back to him, they will be 3/4 silkie. Since he carry's both the silkie and mottled genes and half his daughters will carry the mottled gene as well as some being silkie feathered. I should get some mottled silkie chicks. The resulting chicks should be over 90% silkie, I think? A little help?.
The resulting chicks would be 62.5% Silkie, and would be a lot less likely to have full Silkie characteristics. Your best bet would be to breed the F2's back to each other (maybe do some test breeding first to figure out which ones carrying mottling) and you'll get a few mottled chicks with silkied feathers. The more Silkie blood in them the better, because there's also the matter of preserving the other Silkie features like the extra toes, the afros, the beards, the size, and their black skin. Even once you've got a breeding pool of mottled Silkies, you should still be breeding in some Silkies each generation for the first few gens to get them as Silkie-like as possible.

Your best option for introducing the blue-egging gene is to get some blue-egging Silkies from the link on the first page of this thread and cross them. If you want to breed the blue-egging gene in with your Araucanas, it will be a lot more difficult and take several generations and a lot of artificial selection, while you can have some blue-egging Silkie hens next spring if you get some hatching eggs

If you want to breed in the blue-egging gene with your Araucanas, you have two options. You can either start crossing some Silkies with some Araucanas now and do the same thing as you are with the mottled Silkies until you create a blue-egging Silkie, and then cross them with the mottled Silkies and select the offspring with both the mottling and the blue eggs; or you can perfect your mottled Silkies and then cross those with your Araucanas and then select and perfect from there until you've got your mottled Silkies. Both of these would take years, while using the blue-egging Silkies ASAP will be several years faster in the long-run.

The mottled aracauna breeder is to far away, their in CA. I'm in Australia. Tried to find mottled aracauna here no luck:idunno.
That's why I'm being trying to do it this way. It would be so much easier if I could get some.

My f3 chicks have finally hatched. Such a variety in colours, and the chick in the 2nd picture I would almost call it a mottled but It cant be.

Attachments

• 20200506_133825 #.jpg
    20200506_133825 #.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200506_133709.jpg
    20200506_133709.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200506_133753 #.jpg
    20200506_133753 #.jpg
    403.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200506_133859#.jpg
    20200506_133859#.jpg
    369.6 KB · Views: 6
Just checked the nest and all 10 eggs hatched. 2 little blondes and 7 blacks with some white on them and 1 penguin colour.
7 have black feet with 5 toes and the blondes have yellow feet with 5 toes. And the penguin coloured one has 5 toes and black feet with 2 toes having pink tips

Attachments

• 20200507_165817.jpg
    20200507_165817.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
More pics

Attachments

• 20200507_165811.jpg
    20200507_165811.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200507_165837.jpg
    20200507_165837.jpg