Mottled/Spangled Orpingtons

Pics
Jeremy.
For all this that is worth. I've spent most of my time in Europe. I have not come across what you a presenting with your young flock. I'm not saying this can not be accomplished. Continue with what you are creating and over time and generations this all should be possible. This is not done or seen in Europe. But that being said. I always believe with your knowledge and dedication I don't see why this can not be possible. Like always pick the offspring's that carry both mottle genes that are present not recessive. Time is on your hands. I wish you only the best and look forward to your results. This is all so new dealing with the mottle gene. Not every chick will carry the dominate mottle gene to pass down to the next generation. Good luck to your breeding. I myself look forward to your results. I have a fondness with our "Mottle" gene.....the mottle color will and can surface as the chicken fully matures.

The truth always comes out in the end, for the breeders of these so called "Pure English Orpingtons, many of you know who you are. Many of these young breeders claim to know what and how to breed a quality chicken but time will tell .MANY OF THESE UP AND COMING BREEDERS LOOK UP TO A YOUNG BREEDER KNOWING THE FACTS. BUT AFTER KNOWING THE FACTS HAVE ONLY PROVEN THAT THIS IS FAR FROM WHAT IS HAPPENING TO OUR STANARDS AMONG THE English Orpingtons. MANY PAYS A BIG ROLE, AND WHAT EVER AMOUNT OF MONEY EXCHANGED ONLY DEGRADES THE OUTCOME OF OUR BEAUTIFUL English Orpingtons. It is to SAY SO MUCH RESPONSIBILITY HAS BEEN GIVEN TO A YOUNG PERSON TO FOR SEE THE OUT COME OF OUR English Orpingtons WITH DETRIMENTAL OUT COME. Do very many of us care, or is all about the money that can be quickly made?or is it more important to have these beautiful creatures with us for many generations.

I've myself have been told I only care what money can be made for my farm. If any one has taken the time to get to know my understands this is far from any truth! my goals is to see from each generation to the next that we strive and improve for the life of these beautiful animals. I have yet to have a return on my investment. And there gives me much joy in seeing young children reaching out and caring to make a difference, I myself care for all types of injured animals at my cost, and this is something that gives me joy. Money is always the root of evil. And sharing and passing knowledge can only help others along the way. I have yet to make a profit on mu exotic chickens, it is more important about giving and sharing especially to the young 4-H kids that want to make a difference. My doors and barns are open to others that need a help in the right direction. On our farm we care for a variety of different animals. This farm is known for the geriatric farm as all living animals live out a rather long and loving life! we hope you can stop by and see the progress we have made to organic raised flower beds to leading a positive and happy warm life. We encourage your arrival. We have many positive ways to help you and others bring happiness and to see how our mind can make a huge difference.
Autumn Farm...for the caring of all living creatures to share in all happiness's!

Last edited:
@Hillbilly Mom
 no, you'll need to breed siblings together to hatch a Chocolate Mottled boy.

Choc male X Mottled female = Black male chicks, split to Choc & Mottled. & Choc female chicks, split to Mottled.

Breed these birds together. In their offspring, you'll produce pure Chocolate Mottled birds in both sexes. 
I have a newbie question! I'm new to the world of Orpingtons & am fascinated with the Chocolates & the Mottled!
so let me see if I'm understanding this correctly?
if I have a chocolate mottled male can I breed him to a pure chocolate and my F1 will be chocolate split to mottling? and then if I breed F1 back to the father the offspring will be chocolate mottled?
if that is correct does this work both ways ?
if my hen is chocolate mottled and I breed her to a chocolate male will my F1 all be choc split to mottle?
thank you in advance!

I have a newbie question. I have not seen much information on red Orpingtons so what would you get if bred a blue mottled Orpington rooster to a red Orpington hen?

Last edited:
Silly question...is there a difference between mottled and spangled or are they the same thing? I have what I was told is a Spangled Orp pullet and I love her coloring and docile personality. I'm not looking to sell or breed her as I just have a small backyard flock (6 hens total) I just want to know more about what she is.

Back
Top Bottom