Mottled turkeys

rum3002576

Songster
May 1, 2018
Anyone have any connections to some really good mottled turkeys? I really want to raise some. I currently raise royal palms and have for over twenty years. Time for something new

Anyone have any connections to some really good mottled turkeys? I really want to raise some. I currently raise royal palms and have for over twenty years. Time for something new
You can create your own Mottled turkeys by crossing your Royal Palms with Blue Slates. The mottling gets more pronounced as they age.

Really. I did not know that. Should I start with a royal hen and blue slate Tom or vice versa or doesn’t it make a difference?
It does not matter. The only difference with using a Royal Palm tom is that all of the offspring will be carrying a Narragansett gene. If you use a Slate tom, none of the female offspring will have a Narragansett gene but all of the male offspring will carry a hidden Narragansett gene.

You can use Porter's Turkey Color Calculator to check the potential results.

Last edited:
It does not matter. The only difference with using a Royal Palm is that all of the offspring will be carrying a Narragansett gene. If you use a Slate tom, none of the female offspring will have a Narragansett gene but all of the male offspring will carry a hidden Narragansett gene.

You can use Porter's Turkey Color Calculator to check the potential results.
Thank you. As far as that calculator it confuses me. Lol. I guess I may not be the brightest

Thank you. As far as that calculator it confuses me. Lol. I guess I may not be the brightest
You can get the genetic codes from the Phenotypes and Genotypes page.

The calculator is set for a Bronze turkey (bb CC dd EE NN PnPn RR SlSl SpSp). To change it to a Slate (BB Dd) change bb to BB and dd to Dd and leave all the others alone. To change it to a Royal Palm (b1b1 cgcg nn or n-), change bb to b1b1, CC to cgcg, NN or N- to nn or n-.

Narragansett (n) is a sex linked gene attached to the male chromosome, males can have two Narragansett (nn) genes but females can only have one Narragansett (n-) gene.

I uncheck the Hide Genotypes box because I want to see what genes the offspring will have. Click on the Calculate Cross button.

Back
Top Bottom