Moulting and feet questions with photos.

paulinaydern

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 23, 2009
hmm.png

We just noticed today that our Jake's breast is bald in the center. When we looked closely we saw large pin feathers starting to come in on the edges of the bald patch.

icky1.jpg

Is this just a normal moulting thing? The bald spot continues underneath the baby fluff as well.

Another question; his feet seem to have lost the scales in a few places between his toes and the skin is a whitish-pink color. Is this a normal thing as well?

icky.jpg

Thanks,

P.

Last edited:
I would think if he is moulting or lost them due to something else and you see new ones coming in..Then nothing to worry about ?

The skin looks good so maybe he is just moutling or from sitting on his chest alot.. they came out.

The issue with the scales.. no clue. I tent not to worry about stuff like that. he could have had a minor booboo there and its healing over or he scratched them off or whatnot.. I guess .

Thank you for the replies.

Yes, he chooses to sleep on the ground, on the hay flooring instead of the roost where our Jenny sleeps.

I won't worry any further unless he starts showing more skin.

P.

If I were you, I'd just ruffle the feathers gently looking for mites. It is probably just sitting on the ground, but you can never be too sure.

Back
Top Bottom