Moulting

Huehueboy

Chirping
9 Years
May 7, 2012
Southern Utah
Recently i picked up some new hens (3 in fact) that are molting. They are about 2 years old, all americounas. Question is, what is the best to help these girls get through the molting process. I have read that you give them extra protein, change their feed, leave them in there pin.

I have not introduced them to the other six hens that i have cause it says not to.

Thoughts.....

Jerry

Feed as much as they will eat possibly adding some BOSS or dry cat food, keep them warm and dry, and wait until they are fully refeathered before integrating to your flock.

There is feed called Feather Fixer that has extra protein, also you can add protein in the form of scrambled eggs and a little cooked hamburger. Tofu is also a snack they will love.

Hi :welcome Jerry

Glad you could join the flock! Congrats in your new girls :celebrate I too would not add them to your existing birds untill they have finished their moults as they will be down in power right now. Will certainly be best to add them when they are feeling in good health. Plus it gives you chance to quarantine your new ones so you can be sure they are not carrying any disease that could affect your exsisting birds. I have found that my birds do ok during moult by staying on their layer feed but I supplement them with some scrambled or hard boiled chopped egg. They also have a poultry vitamin and mineral supplement in the water. You could always switch them to a grower feed as this is higher in protein for them.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your new ladies.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello Jerry!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

Another question......the same owner of the 3 hens i picked up wants to give up the another hen. I have only had the three hens one day so far, will the three hens remember the family member or do i need to separate her to or can i stick her in with the three hens....they all would have come from the same owner/ coop?

Jerry

After only a day you should be OK to just add her to the three new ones. I've been moving pullets around just recently as they have sold to make more manageable groups and some had been apart for a couple of days or so amd they mixed back in well together. I would do it sooner rather than later though to try and avoid any reintroduction issues.

Back
Top Bottom