Moulting?

MoodySeahorse

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2021
Out of my 4 ducklings, Roxy is the first one to start with her color change. But I noticed this morning that on her wings she has some naked spiney bits. Is this a normal puberty issue? (Her voice is also more quack than peep now) or is she having some other possible issue?

Attachments

• 20210315_115724.jpg
    20210315_115724.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 14
She’s a baby getting in pin feathers in place of her baby fluid down. :) those pins will be her flight feathers on her wings. How old is she?
Uhhh well. I got her from Rural King 3 weeks ago today. So I assume around that old. I got them all the same day and she's definitely ahead of everyone else. I thought they were a couple weeks older when all that started, but other than her head everything else is turning this very pretty shade of brown.

Uhhh well. I got her from Rural King 3 weeks ago today. So I assume around that old. I got them all the same day and she's definitely ahead of everyone else. I thought they were a couple weeks older when all that started, but other than her head everything else is turning this very pretty shade of brown.
No worries. :) it’s normal development, they’re just a lot more obvious when the flight feathers are coming in than a lot of the other feathers that sometimes still have the fluff attached at the end as they come in. There’s a couple of those in your photo as well. :) They grow in their initial juvenile plumage to start with that will be molted again to replace with adult plumage, so she may change a bit in looks again when she starts to molt those feathers. (I realized just now that autocorrect turned “fluff” into “fluid” in my original post haha!)
From what we can see of her she’s very pretty. What breed is she? :)

No worries. :) it’s normal development, they’re just a lot more obvious when the flight feathers are coming in than a lot of the other feathers that sometimes still have the fluff attached at the end as they come in. There’s a couple of those in your photo as well. :) They grow in their initial juvenile plumage to start with that will be molted again to replace with adult plumage, so she may change a bit in looks again when she starts to molt those feathers. (I realized just now that autocorrect turned “fluff” into “fluid” in my original post haha!)
From what we can see of her she’s very pretty. What breed is she? :)
She's a Rouen. I have her, 2 khaki's and 1 that I'm still not 100% sure what it is, but it's super snuggly and lovey. Roxy is definitely leader of the pack lol

Attachments

• 20210315_124123.jpg
    20210315_124123.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom