Mountain Lion sighting in Norco, not a joke.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by onthespot, Dec 13, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Copied and pasted this from craigslist. Secure your babies!

Two different reports in same neighborhood (Norco Bluffs).... one Tuesday during the day in someone's yard... then this morning at 3AM when my neighbor caught one eating her chicken. She tried to scare it off, but he stood ground (very dangerous). Norco animal control states they've received several calls, but when they come out it's gone. Watch your small pets!

sounds to me like someone's pet got loose if it is standing its ground.

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:YIKES!!! [​IMG] Or either they let it go due to the feed bill for that type of pet.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

4. rhoda_bruce

rhoda_bruce Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    Cut Off, LA
    Well at least I'm still allowed to strap a pistol to my belt and walk through my yard....which I very well might start doing again.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    A mountain lion attacked a couple of horses in the Ramona area when I still lived that way. They get hungry and their only meal is someones pet.

There were dairy's in that area, and when a cow died they'd just dump the body over the fence and feed the lions - wrong as it encouraged the lions closer and closer, but I guess to some degree it helped keep the lions from eating pets in that area. [​IMG]

6. fancbrd4me02

fancbrd4me02 Chillin' With My Peeps

About the mountain lion in Norco- I don't think a lot of Southern Californians have any idea how many mountain lions there are around here. It is rare to actually see one, and they are not really known to be a major source of pet/livestock animal losses. Usually what people call a mountain lion is later identified as a bobcat. Bobcat are a major predator of livestock and pets when given the opprtunity. I would remain a bit skeptical about the animal being a mountain lion and very careful about attributing killings to the mountain lion. It may actually be a bobcat. We had a Lion terrorize our neighborhood in San Diego for a while, and everyone (dozens of people) swore it was a mountain lion. Well, it wasn't- it was a bobcat. Pretty funny. I don't mean that I don't think this was a mountain lion - they are everywhere. Where I live is densely populated and urban and I have seen a mountain lion, neighbors have seen then, been at the university 4 miles from here, etc. I just wanted to comment that the mountain lions often get a bad rap over bobcat activity. Also, a bobcat can be agressive and will guard its prey. Mountain lions usually (not always) are timid and will run away when startled.

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I live in the Norco Bluffs and have heard about the mountain lion. They are more common than people think and are getting braver and braver!

8. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    I lived in Riverside for almost 30 years (graduated from Norte Vista) and went into Norco many, many times. It doesn't surprise me in the least that there's a mountain lion venturing into the yards for food. Although I'd be startled to come across one myself.

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If it was eating a chicken then of course it stood it's ground....cats do not back off from a kill. However, I think the culprit was most likely a bobcat not a mountain lion. Them going after a chicken is highly unlikely unless it is sitting outside during the dark hours. I have one that comes through my yard daily...every morning and every night. It has never tried to go after a chicken but they are only out during the daytime....Cougars are noturnal they hunt and etc from dusk to dawn, they den up and sleep during the day. There are exceptions but few. I am less than 10 miles from the Cali border in Southern Oregon, I am surprised they are making a big deal out of seeing one...they are all over northern california.

Keep small pets and etc inside after dusk and you should have little problems...lions are not going to break into your coop if it is secure because they hate confined spaces and rarely risk injury.

Here is a pic of the lion lounging in a tree near my coop one night

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  10. MHF

MHF Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Durham, NC
    Lived in Norco, early 80's, 3901 Vine St. Property opened into the Prado river basin and we would ride our horses down there all the time. Ran into bobcats several times and one mountain lion and i do no the differance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by